1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is this a CV-wrecker?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MyLastDuchess, Aug 30, 2015.

1. MyLastDuchess

MyLastDuchess New commenter

At the beginning of my IT career, I had three consecutive one-year stints. I left one of the schools after one year because I couldn't live on the salary, and I left the next two because the conditions were very, very bad. After that, I learned about *** and carefully researched my next school, and I ended up staying for 4 years, and then coming to my current school, where I am in my 4th year. How badly will my early one-year posts hurt my CV now that I am thinking about moving on and really want to try for a first tier post?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

As you have since proved that you are willing to stay at a school for longer than a year, I can't imagine it would be a problem.

3. mikemcdonald25

mikemcdonald25 Occasional commenter

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I was quite interested, MyLastDuchess, to read that you "...learned about *** and carefully researched my next school". Perhaps I have misunderstood something in your post, but you seem to be suggesting that learning about The International Schools' Review was part of this careful research that you did. How could this be possible, when really everyone knows that the *** is a repository for innumerable inaccuracies, endless exaggerations, salacious slander and billious bias? (Yes, I have just been doing the Figures of Speech with my Year 5 class.) Or are you actually suggesting, MyLastDuchess, that some of the *** reviews (such as the ones written by an aged pachyderm) may actually be helpful and informative?

5. Silent85

Silent85 New commenter

why do you always come here with such bitter tired "advice"

6. happygreenfrog

happygreenfrog Occasional commenter

Dear OP, I also have a somewhat checkered career history brought about by short term contracts in the UK, due in part to pupil numbers in inner cities areas being variable and schools budgets not being stable as a result.

Some NQT's walk straight into a teaching post and stay for a number of years. I think they are seen as solid, stable and competent. I'm sure my history has been held against me at times, especially by schools who consider themselves superior but through time it becomes less important. Ensure your CV states your reason for leaving and be prepared to explain briefly if asked about it.

More than one way to skin a cat, though some may be more difficult than others.

7. Peako

Peako New commenter

Hippo: You have a definite thing for ***. Why is that? It's a monumental mess!

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Let's try to be fair, please. Yes, a lot of *** posts are out-of-date, hysterical and venomous. I am sure that is the case. However, some of them (especially the ones I wrote) are more balanced and informative. I have to be honest and say that I have not used the *** website for two or three years now, so maybe you are right, Peako, and perhaps it has gone downhill rapidly in recent months. The problem is that it is sometimes rather difficult to find reliable information about a school from teachers who have actually taught there.