1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a cringeworthy thing to do?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by tartetatin, Jan 11, 2011.

1. I'm not a very bold person when it comes to asking for things, so I just thought I'd ask your opinion on something that I'm considering doing.
    Mr Tarte and my sister's new husband clubbed together this Christmas and bought for my sis and I a night at a luxury hotel.
    We're very excited about it and are looking forward to a wee bit of child free time together! We've been booked into a standard twin room and if I know my husband, bless him, he'll have booked directly through the hotel and not one of the discount sites, eg. lastminute.com.
    Would it be really greedy/cheeky if I were to email the hotel and ask if there were any room upgrades going? I particularly want to make the weekend nice for my younger sis, and I don't feel I have anything to lose by asking. Also, do hotels reach full occupancy in the middle of January - they may agree to it quite readily if not??
    Have you ever tried to blag something like this and what was the outcome?
    Thanks x

2. laffal0t

laffal0t New commenter

No harm in asking...

3. bbibbler

bbibbler New commenter

Best if you explain the situation and then ask for a discount on the upgrade.

4. Thanks, just what I thought! I still find it a bit embarrassing to ask but sack it, I might as well try. It's only one night, after all.