1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a book club or a kindle club?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by Spanakopita, Dec 24, 2011.

1. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

A book is made of paper pages bound together inside a cover and a kindle is an electronic device.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

But this is a book, Nutella
    [​IMG]
    And so is this:
    [​IMG]
    And so is this:
    [​IMG]
    And this:
    [​IMG]
    And this . . .
    [​IMG]
    As well as this:
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="text-align:center;">

<tr>
    <td id="prodImageCell">[​IMG]

Merry Christmas, Nutella!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

<tr>
    <td class="tiny">
    </td></tr>
    </table>

3. Spanakopita

Not in my view!

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The dictionary definition of a book is thus:
    Noun: A written or printed work consisting of pages glued or sewn together along one side and bound in covers.
    An e-book is defined as:
    Noun: A book composed in or converted to digital format for display on a computer screen or handheld device.

An e-book would appear to be a type of book, by all accounts, and therefore permissible within the confines of the book club.
    We could ask for the book club to be renamed 'Book and E-book Club', to save confusion. Or we could, accepting that such pedantry would be a little weird and sad, just keep things as they are.

5. 576

576 Established commenter

Perhaps we should rename it 'Hardback, paperback and electronic book club' Just to cover all formats.[​IMG]
    If you're more fussed about the format of the book then you can sit and quietly read the phone book and let people here who care more about the content to discuss good and bad books (in all their formats)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Is that addressed to me, sunshine?

7. I think it's great that people are still reading and maybe they are reading even more now because of the kindle.
    I thought I was going to get one for my birthday but everyone forgot my birthday, oh well :(

8. Underachiever

Underachiever New commenter

Sorry to hear that LT85, you'll just have to treat yourself. I have a kindle and I mostly read old classics and 'throwaway' lit on it. I still buy books that I want to keep and poetry - the kindle is rubbish for poetry.
    I have been surprised and pleased to hear some of my literacy strugglers have been given kindles for Christmas and have been spurred on to read with them. I think it has taken away their negative perceptions of a physical book. It maybe a shortlived phenomenon, but good to hear all the same.

9. Phoenixchild

Phoenixchild Occasional commenter

I agree Nutella, I had a kindle Christmas 2010 and it has gathered dust ever since while I continue to buy and read REAL books. Books with pages that i can touch and hold and turn. Books I can lend to people not in possession of an electronic device.
    A device that you need to learn how to use before you can read a "book". What's the point when I can pick up and read an actual book?! And for the record I know how to use the kindle and still hate it, I think it's anti social and stops the sharing of books.xx

10. Underachiever

It certainly has disavantages. I've just read What To Look For In Winter by Candia McWilliam. It's brilliant and I would usually have lent it to my friends at this point, but of course, I can't. On the other hand, I've also read The Great Gatsy and Moby Dick, neither of which I would have picked up without my kindle.

11. Spanakopita

And I've read them too and long before the Kindle was even a twinkle in some money grubbing entrepreneur's eye.

12. Underachiever

Fair comment. Nothing wrong with real books, I love them too and I also read The Great Gatsby many years ago. I would never have thought of it again though if I hadn't been browsing in bed one night.

13. Hey what about Braille?

14. 576

576 Established commenter

Absolutely [​IMG]
    and audio books and any other format I've forgotten.

15. I read both forms and I like both forms. If I really adore a book that I have read on my kindle, I can still buy the paper version for my bookshelf. If it was just a time-passer, I enjoy it and have saved space on my bookshelf.

I was sceptical at first and used to ignore the kindle threads. It didn't seem like a proper book to me and I thought it would not "feel" the same - then my sister got one a couple of years ago and I tried it - and loved it. It is completely different to reading on a computer monitor or laptop

Like penny, I live abroad and so the kindle has been great for me and saved me a lot of money in the long run (and it is quicker to download than wait for the post!).

I still buy the books and stories I really cherish in paper form.

So I have the best of both worlds :eek:)

It has also made my not-so-keen-on-reading son into an avid reader. So it gets the thumbs up from me.

I used to use dictionaries and encyleopdias in paper form - now I often tend to use the internet, but that doesn't mean the paper forms are not in my home nor never used.

Why limit yourself when you can have both forms? (if you want - nobody is forced to use or like an electronic book, the internet or inside toilets).

16. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Meden agan!

17. Underachiever

No such thing as an excess of reading.