1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a bad offer for the UAE?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by dianasergeeva, Jan 13, 2019 at 11:41 AM.

Tags:
  1. iskamdazamina

iskamdazamina New commenter

Dear all,

Firstly, thank you so much for everyone asking and answering questions on here; it is really useful.

Secondly, I wanted to ask if the following offer is as bad I think.

It’s a school in Abu Dhabi with Emirati students. Offer: 11000 AED a month, 1 bedroom flat for a family of three, 50% off school fees. Utilities, medical for just me and a ticket included. Worst of all, I have to go on a tourist visa and certify my documents over there before I can have permission to work, and then apply for visas for my dependants after that.
    I have also read the reviews on

Currently I’m in Eastern Europe, I have accommodation, medical, a place for my child and a leadership TLR. Salary is low but cost of living here is very cheap. I do have reasons to want to leave though.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. PuRe

PuRe Occasional commenter

3. iskamdazamina

Thank you, PuRe, for this visual. :)
    Any particular reasons or is it all bad?

I also meant to say above that I read the reviews on ISR and it’s bad.

Thanks

4. iskamdazamina

Thank you, PuRe, for this visual. :)
    Any particular reasons or is it all bad?

I also meant to say above that I read the reviews on ISR and it’s bad.

Thanks

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Just based on the fact they dont provide full medical for your dependants would make me avoid this one.

towncryer and dianasergeeva like this.
  6. february31st

february31st Established commenter

You would be stupid to even consider this offer.

towncryer likes this.
  7. iskamdazamina

Would you try and renegotiate or leave it all together? Thanks

8. theintlteacher

theintlteacher New commenter

Bargain basement. Avoid.

9. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Why bother trying to renegotiate? Are you really willing to work for a school who try this on?

10. iskamdazamina

Not really but just making sure I research all options and that it wasn’t just me being too picky.
    Thanks.

11. Jason_Bourne_

Jason_Bourne_ Occasional commenter

Absolutely rubbish offer...

12. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

barge.jpg

I think that you need one of these. The ten foot variety would be best, dianasergeeva.

dianasergeeva likes this.
  13. norwichred

norwichred New commenter

1 bedroom flat for three? Even I wouldn’t accept that!

14. rednelly84

rednelly84 New commenter

That's a truly awful package but sadly, it's the way the economy has influenced things in recent years here. The starting salary for the school I work in used to be AED13.5K a month 10 years ago. Now, it's AED9.5K. I'm finally leaving the UAE this year as things are definitely on the downward slope in this part of the world.

towncryer likes this.
  15. iskamdazamina

Thank you for your thorough contribution.

16. towncryer

towncryer Occasional commenter

I'm with Red Nelly there. My starting salary 10 years ago was 11000. Since then the cost of living has gone up but salaries are getting stingier. Your offer isn't good at all. Only 50% of school fees? No medical cover for your family. Don't do it.

17. mungomango

mungomango New commenter

Terrible offer. There are bad packages in the UAE but this is really awful.
    My pay 7 years ago was 14k with 7 years experience.

18. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

Salaries have come down as many expats have left, but I still think it's on the poor side of average for the three of you. Realistically in the current climate I'd be looking for at least 12k a month and a 2 bed in your circumstances - which is not impossible to find by any means, but not all that common any more in my experience of talking to other teachers.

19. Geo_Marz

Geo_Marz New commenter

That package is below average for the UAE. You’d be poor just paying off tuition fees. You don’t want to uproot for the UAE where you’re living on a string. There’s far better packages in the UAE. I was on in 2016 13.500AED, beautiful apartment in Abu Dhabi, flights, medical, tuition all provided for dependents. Outstanding school. Apply to other schools would be my advise.

iskamdazamina likes this.
  20. Redparrotfish

Redparrotfish New commenter

You also need to consider the quality of school your child will be attending.

iskamdazamina and Geo_Marz like this.