1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there such a role as KS5 Co-ordinator in English?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by br0wnsugar, Apr 21, 2019.

1. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I work at a school where the KS5 English co-ordinator role seems non-existent. Teaching in this department seems to muddle through SOW but not much else. I ask this as in most English departments there are KS3 and KS4, co-ordinators. For those of you who are or have worked in KS5 English teaching, what is this role about? KS3 - years 7-8 or 9 and the curriculum is the main priority and how it filters through to KS4 requirements; KS4 - GCSE preparation and KS5 - preparing for the jump from GCSE and acquiring higher order English skills etc? Are there any courses to attend regarding making the most out of KS5 with a specific criteria or is KS5 purely due to being an experienced teacher who just teaches it? I would welcome any comments you have on KS5 English and what the key roles and responsibilities are.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I can't imagine why there would be. In KS3 and 4 it is mandatory for all pupils, ks5 is elective. Just needs a HoD to set curriculum and teachers to teach it.

border_walker and Piranha like this.
  3. br0wnsugar

Thank you for your reply.
    I ask because at KS5 the curriculum, NEA course projects, resitting students who attained low English grades at GCSE and exam papers and teaching need co-ordinating with exam entries etc and you don't think that it is a role that needs its own focus? I guess that it may come down to student intake numbers but I would have thought that KS3 and KS4 will be busy enough and so would a HOD overseeing KS3/4 plus managing staff, CPD, coaching etc then have to also add KS5 to the work load? I'm not surprised there are so many job adverts for 2nd in charge/KS4/3 and HOD in English, if as you say 'I can't imagine why...'
    Interesting response. Ambitious NQT's watch out !!

4. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

Not sure what you expect if I am honest.

Entering re-sits is not a complicated issue. If there is a resit class then yes I would expect KS4 coordinator to lead on that as it is a KS4 curriculum. After that it is a teacher's normal job. That accounts for almost everything you are asking about.

There are not normally KS3/4 coordinators for history/geography/languages, but these require more coordination than the role you suggest, hence why there are HoDs. However, the role you suggest will already have been done by KS4, it doesn't need someone to re-rubber stamp the same process.

I worked in an FE college for 3 years, and GCSE resit teachers were quite capable of managing 80+ resits per year without a coordinator. They taught their curriculum, submitted entries to exams, and that was it.

border_walker likes this.
  5. tb9605

tb9605 Occasional commenter

I agree with Flanks here. I'm an English HoD and don't have any coordinators working for me (department of 6), depsite running both Language and Literature A levels, plus GCSE resits. So you're making a massive assumption when you say that most schools have KS3 and KS4 coordinators.

In fact, thinking back to all four schools I've trained and worked in, not one had Key Stage coordinators for English. Many had Second in Departments, but their responsibilities often flowed across key stages (e.g. when I was SID, I was effectively in charge of KS3 and KS4 Lit; at another school the SiD was in charge of tracking and assessment across all key stages.)

border_walker and Flanks like this.
  6. Happygopolitely

Happygopolitely Occasional commenter

It depends on numbers of entries,.cosistencies of roles across the school.and fairness. Are there ks5 roles available in other subject areas? And are the entries big?

7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Surely if they have people too coordinate KS3 and KS4, they don't need to do much overseeing and have time for KS5. In my subject (Maths) we had a lot of KS5 students, and our did the overseeing. When I became 2nd in department, I had not taught the most recent GCSE syllabus, and took over KS5 instead of KS4 which had been part of the role. It was not that hard a role. In Maths, we had different SoWs depending on A level module choices, plus Further Maths and IB Maths to sort out.

8. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

It needs to be known who is responsible for what, but coordination of one or more key stages might fall within the role of the HoD or second in department, particularly in a smaller department. There's not always the capacity within a department to be actively developing every scheme of work at once. If A-level is being taught entirely by experienced teachers, and there are no major syllabus changes, it may be ticking along quite nicely while a new GCSE course or KS3 SoW beds in.

9. br0wnsugar

Thank you for your responses.
    The question was whether there is such a thing as a KS5 co-ordinator. Judging by the responses above - it differs by name only. The academy I work for differentiates between key stages; unheard of for some of you but again, it's all about how schools and departments are run.
    There was no mention of the role (KS5) being hard or difficult merely that if you're planning curriculum lessons for year 10s and 11s, coaching trainees, NQTs within a department of 11 teachers, then it is legitimate to ask whether a KS4 co-ordinator will also be responsible for KS5.Clearly from some of the responses, the role as outlined is actually a 2ic position. Also just to add; at my academy we have just taken on a KS3 co-ordinator who is 2ic!

10. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

It will depend on multiple factors.

In a large school with 6-8 classes across y12 & 13 sitting Language, Literature and Media, an A Level team of 9 across the subjects (of mixed experience), the curriculum needs developing, staff need upskilling, there's a dedicated programme for resitters etc then a KS5 coordinator makes sense and I have known those posts exist.

In a smaller department of 6 where 2 people teach the a level by sharing out the spec between them whilst someone else enters 15 students in for their resit then a KS5 coordinator doesn't make much sense as all the tasks of a ks5 coordinator are reasonably absorbed into normal teaching jobs.

There needs the 'responsibility' to make the R in TLR. Unless there is the need to make someone responsible for an area, there isn't a need for a TLR post.

Flanks likes this.
  11. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

No reason why the KS3 coordination shouldn't be done by the 2ic - in many schools the HoD/2ic will take on coordinating at least one key stage, and there's no reason why it has to be any in particular.

It sounds as if your question might actually be "if I am KS4 coordinator, does that mean coordinating KS5 as well?", or "I'm KS4 coordinator and give my colleagues lots of support with KS4, so why isn't anyone doing that for me at KS5?"

That's down to job descriptions, and also what's reasonable; as purple carrot describes, in a small department with only one group doing each KS5 course, there's little point adding in a management layer.

purplecarrot and border_walker like this.
  12. hephelumps

hephelumps New commenter

We have KS5 coordinators for English, Maths and all three Sciences. as well as KS coordinators for KS3 and KS4