1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there still a shortage of Maths teachers?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by basilicata, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Is there still a shortage of Maths teachers? And what are the chances of a 57 year old Maths teacher with excellent references and a (recently aquired) MA finding a teaching post for this September?

Thanks

J

2. DM

DM New commenter

3. euclidselements

euclidselements New commenter

I do not think there is still a shortage. My school had 30+ applications for its last vacancy. How about other schools - is this typical now?

4. DM

DM New commenter

0 to 3 applicants is typical in my area (Suffolk).

5. I don't know if we 'officially' have a shortage in my area but out of the 4 times we have advertised this year, we have had a pretty poor response:
    1st advert: 6 applicants, none worth interviewing.
    2nd advert: 4 applicants, all invited for interview, 3 interviewed, 2 appointed (1 short term appointed unhappily but the alternative was supply!)
    3rd advert: 8 applicants, 5 invited for interview, 3 came to interview, 1 short term appointed (unhappily, but the alternative was supply)
    4th advert: 6 applicants for 2 jobs, all invited for interview, 4 came to interview, 1 appointed (quite happily!)
    We are a fairly 'nice' school in a new(ish) building and the head is willing to pay extra for good staff (this has been mentioned in adverts). If a good teacher walked in and asked for a job they would get one!
    On the other hand I know that places on local PGCE maths courses have been significantly reduced for next year.

6. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

How was that determined?

7. Candidates who had been interviewed before, unqualified teachers and people who couldn't really complete an application form correctly! The deputy head who saw the applications didn't even bother passing them on to me.

8. briceanus

briceanus New commenter

Cannot spell school, town or subject names correctly
    Only previous experience is picking leeks in Nigeria
    Australian who clearly only wanTs a way inti the UK
    Application states "hate children, hate your town, but desperate for work"
    etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc
    When we advertise, at least 3/4 of applicants fall into this category. We don't have the time to waste on such applicants, so determination is simple.