1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there something serious wrong with ITT?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by tired999, Mar 8, 2020.

1. tired999

tired999 New commenter

I'm 2 weeks into my second placement and am really struggling. Not with the students or the crazy workload but the attitude of my mentor and some of the people who observe me. I am a mature student and am highly qualified. This seems to be an issue for some of the teachers in the school, especially those who have never had a career before and are male!

My timetable keeps changing at the last minute, lessons are cancelled after I've planned them and others are added at short notice. There haven't been any departmental meetings or emails and I teach most of my classes once a week or fortnight! I've asked to observe lessons before teaching classes but it's been refused for quite a few of my classes. The feedback I've received has been highly personal and written or in email, not face to face. When I've tried to speak to people I've been told they are too busy.

My ITT provider have been as supportive as they can but they do not seem to have much say about how the school behaves and also want to keep them on side for future placements.

I will survive the next 4 weeks (until the end of the placement) but why should it be necessary just to survive? I want to observe examples of good teaching to help me be a good teacher and want to have constructive feedback not demoralising personal put downs that leave me depressed. I know teachers are busy but is it acceptable for PGCE students to be spoken to like they are? If they are talking to their students in the same way .........God help them!

2. fearsmarrows

fearsmarrows New commenter

Yes there is, I am under the impression that whilst the government is happily enticing people to retrain this is not what schools and certainly the existing teaching staff want.

tired999 likes this.
  3. 43Meadows

43Meadows New commenter

Sadly your experience is not uncommon.

4. diddydave

diddydave Established commenter

Speaking as an ex-HOD who had many student teachers come through from various routes, PGCE and direct from industry amongst them, I would say that the school you are at sounds disorganised and it is unacceptable for any trainee to be asked to deal with shifting goal posts even if that is what happens to the profession in general.

There can be a tendency for mature students to be treated differently as there may be an expectation from teachers, who should know better, that they will have experience purely because of their (your) age and who forget that you will need guidance on how to reflect on each experience. I've had mature students come into the profession having managed scientific research departments of 20-30 who just couldn't believe that they would have trouble with 20 teenagers and who wanted to pack it all in after the first week, however once they got into the swing of it and learned how to adapt their approach it all went well. We only ever had 2 student teachers decide it definitely wasn't for them and I agreed with them.

I am surprised to hear you say that staff are too busy to talk to you as I've found most of my colleagues were only too pleased to share their experiences, though I did have to ask 1 to wait until I'd finished teaching the year 9 class I had when they arrived and interrupted me mid demonstration - this was one of the two who didn't ever quite get how you could never fully relax in a classroom even if the pupils were in the middle of a task.

Perhaps asking your pupils who they think is the best teacher in the school and approaching them with said 'reference' might butter them up for you to observe them in practice.

As for the personal put-downs it is very hard not to take any criticism of the teaching process personally as it is a very personal interaction that we have with pupils. In my department we had a mixture of Sergeant Majors, negotiators and, my favourite, the 'pied pipers' - I wish I could have bottled the latters abilities and skills but it just boiled down to their personality and attitude...quite often they were the least qualified and knowledgeable about the subject but the pupils would work their socks off for them.

I hope this, from a male single-profession ex-teacher, may help.

pipryan likes this.
  5. pipryan

pipryan New commenter

I too was a mature student and had similar experiences. I was 40 years old (now 60) when I completed my four year Business Education (with QTS) degree. During my placement, and subsequently working in secondary schools, I noticed a marked difference between teachers who had previous experience outside academia and those who did not. I had previously worked in adult and youth training and had very few problems with discipline or attention, however I did want guidance on, and to observe, practical implementation and delivery of lesson plans etc which I struggled to get. Eventually I was ‘adopted’ by a science teacher -who happened to have been in the same army regiment as me – and I tailed him everywhere! I know this is somewhat of generalisation (with experience of only five schools) but I wonder if there is a feeling of unease with some teachers, of ‘unknown’ others being present in their lessons -maybe as this too rarely occurs. A colleague once commented prior to an OFSTED inspection ‘there are those who did who think they can and those who did not are frightened they cannot’. I concur with diddydave, go search out the ‘piedpipers’ and others who can help you.

6. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

I discovered in my PGCE that universities are more interested in preserving their reputation than they are supporting their trainees. I studied with one that go to great lengths to talk about about how they were amazing for producing good quality teachers, but when it came to actually providing assistance during tough times it was nowhere to be seen.

And yes, I do blame the universities as opposed to the school, because it's the former's job to quality assurance the training experience and be certain that the right provisions are available and requirements met.

7. Carltoz

Carltoz New commenter

I am a very mature (in my 50s) second career trainee going through the SD process. Where my base school operates an open door policy, at my SSE for most teachers I had to send an email via the PM there to observe.
    I took the view that if they were that terrified of lil ol' me watching them for an hour, I wouldn't bother. Instead I tried to watch as many of the teachers I got to know over the 6 weeks. Eventually I threw all my toys out the pram and wrote a filthy email to my PM that seemed to wake a few people up and things started to change.
    Demand better of them. Particularly if you are salaried there is a contractual right for you to be treated fairly.
    The good news is that when the placement finishes, life will feel good again.