1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is there funding to help students?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Jude73, Aug 1, 2011.

1. I already work as a self empoyed tutor but what I would really like to do is offer tuition at a subsidised rate for students whose parents wouldn't normally be able to afford the cost. Does anyone have any information or experience about this or where I could find funding?
    Thanks

2. I already work as a self empoyed tutor but what I would really like to do is offer tuition at a subsidised rate for students whose parents wouldn't normally be able to afford the cost. Does anyone have any information or experience about this or where I could find funding?
    Thanks

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

There's one to one in schools, but not much of that about ny more!
    Depends what you mean by parents who can't afford it-in my expereince good parents will make sacrifices to help their children, whereas many of the so called low income families I have worked with have plenty of money for 3 tvs, mobile phones, forein holidays and fags...

4. See what you mean, I suppose if there was funding you'd have to work out some kind of criteria for students to be eligible. Some of the families I've seen who are supposed to be skint have loads, TV's in every room, hols, massive christmas and the worst it was one mums 40th and she got a new ring which had a diamond the size of Gilbratar ( she insisited I try it on) made me laugh cos hse can't wear it 'cos she'd get mugged!

5. It's a noble idea and all I can suggest is that you give 1/2 slots to a local school, for them to offer to parents with children on FSM who would benefit. I'm afraid you would have to fund it though!

6. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

some of my students have had funding from LEA (because they are in care) or from charities (because they have a disability). The organisations pay me directly. My students are all over 16 though.

7. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

If you don't mind, could you say how you got started doing that, who did you contact etc, which area are you in cos maybe certain places eg Wales/Scotland are more likely to do that? Would appreciate knowing more about it though!

8. I do work with a couple of county foster carers, tutoring short/medium term placement children (aged between 7-11). The foster carers pay me directly and then they claim it back from the local authority. I'm in England so it may be different to where Revena is.