1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there anything preventing me from teaching students how to use a CMS for Unit 1?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by HappyHippy, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Unit 1 of what?!? (Sorry if I've missed it...)

2. nathanielbrown

nathanielbrown New commenter

Where is the older edition? I know about the Starter Edition but it is limited to 5 pages which is enough for my KS3 but not for A level.

3. nathanielbrown

Sorry I wasn't clear. Unit 1 for Applied ICT A level Edexcel.

4. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Sorry did not realise 5 page limit, is Kompozer no good for you?

5. If you are delivering up to A level the school really should not expect you to deliver without paying up for the appropriate software. I think you have the cart and the horse the wrong way round .........

Go tell them the facts of life!

6. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I'd recommend a thorough re-read of the specification and requirements and look at the Examiner's reports etc.
    The eBook itself has to be stand alone so if that's what you mean by "static HTML" then yes you need to teach it however there's no requirement to use HTML; this unit is an ebook. No need for any HTML at all, static or otherwise.
    We use either Flash or Mediator.
    If you use a CMS you're going to have issues submitting it.

7. It needs to go on CD at the end, and needs to link up. You'll have more problems at the end when doing this if you do it as a live site. Also, when making the pages you're ideally making it like a book (e.g. not scrollable), are CMS' really suited to this?

8. Most heads will turn around and tell you to find another A Level exam board that caters for the software available in school.....

Out of interest, have you looked at Nvu, Bluefish, Kompozer and the many other free Open Source WYSIWIG editors that you could download for free - all capable for use on this course...

9. We've used Dreamweaver in the past and currently use Expression Web 3/4. We get the software via Technet/Microsoft Academy subscription and can then give the student it FOC via Dreamspark. This for me is a big plus as students can then work on stuff outside of school.
    It isn't the easiest bit of software, BUT it does everything needed for Unit 1. The only problem I have is sometimes getting it to integrate with Flash (don't know why!). It is fine for Unit 1 as it creates templates which can then be used for the e-book itself.
    The only downside I can see are the skills needed (it is quite a steep learning curve for newbies), the lack of tutorials available online and the few books available. There is quite a bit of stuff available in terms of videos from Microsoft but these need sifting through to pick out the relevant bits.

10. dhurst

dhurst New commenter

My school didn't have anything to build a webpage in last year so we ended up creating Unit 1 and 2 eBooks in PowerPoint then saving it as a webpage, it didn't the job and the students got some great marks. We now have DW CS5 so are using that instead.

11. nathanielbrown

I'm not to worried about turning it into a static site. There are a number of tools that can scrape websites.

That being said where does the syllabus ever talk about turning pages? I know it's in the sample unit but I assumed that was because it was made using power point and that was a limitation of Power Point. I'll send them an email to double check.

12. Unsure if you're commenting on my "like a book" reply, but I just meant the pages can't scroll, and should have " << Previous | Next >>" at the bottom of each one to continue the content - or find other creative ways of keeping it from scrolling.

13. nathanielbrown

Hi,
    I just through I'd give everyone an update on what I'm thinking of doing and why :)
    Virtually no one makes static HTML websites any more. Most site use a content management system with a theme. I am planning on teaching HTML using MU Wordpress in KS3.
    For Unit 1 I am going to use WebExpression 4 & Notepad to create a CSS Wordpress theme that will use a floating menu like http://www.quackit.com/css/codes/css_floating_menu.cfm or http://www.jtricks.com/javascript/navigation/floating.htmlThe students will then create the website in Wordpress and export it as static HTML. I think this will help my students to create higher quality work and also be more reflective of what they will do in the real world.
    Does anyone have any comments?

14. Side-comment. I feel sad that "no one makes static HTML websites" anymore. [​IMG]

<font size="2" face="TrebuchetMS">
    I guess Unit 5 is the Web Development unit though, so if you wanted to use Wordpress to speed up the creation process there's no reason in the specification why you can't. The "web authoring" package then becomes the Rich Text Editor with HTML switcher and the tools of the site. Sounds good, if I taught this qualification again I'd be tempted to go down this route!

15. Careful now. Talk about spending money and George Osborne might "send the boys round for a little chat".

Used this in the past (1st Page 2000). Free download, three difficulty levels; basic, advanced and hardcore and WYSIWYG or text input.

http://www.evrsoft.com/1stpage3.shtml