1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there anything Governors can't get involved in these days?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by chelsea2, Oct 23, 2015.

1. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

"Governors plan to increase their monitoring of pupils’ progress by attending the academy’s pupil progress meetings,"

Just read this in an Ofsted monitoring visit report. I am staggered - surely attending such meetings will compromise pupil confidentiality (e.g. questions which identify individuals, such as 'Why hasn't Fred Bloggs made 2 years' progress over the last 6 weeks?'). Also, surely this is outside the brief of Governors which I thought was to be involved in the strategic direction of a school, rather than its day-to-day working?

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

If it's an Academy I think they can do pretty much what they like, sadly. Would a progress meeting necessarily involve children's names though, in my experience it has been about groups and targets and percentages - children as individuals? Not any more.

3. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

In our school (a primary), the meetings are all about those individual children who aren't currently meeting their targeted levels of progress.

4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

Yes - I was primary, and it was the same. And the school from whose Ofsted report I quoted is a primary academy. Would they really allow parent governors to attend pupil progress meetings?

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

@cuteinpuce and chelsea2 - that sounds very reasonable. Bitter - moi?