1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there anything GOOD to look forward to in education just now?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by categed, Feb 3, 2011.

1. categed

categed New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:10.0pt;
    font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-ansi-language:#0400;
    mso-fareast-language:#0400;
    mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

[​IMG] Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by all the negativity towards
    teachers and education at the moment? I feel really unsettled about it all. I
    also find it hard to get my head around the changes there may well take place
    to our terms and condition and the apathy of some of teachers. Do they know
    something that I don't? Is it just because I am temporary not permanent that
    they are not worrying like me? The cuts are already affecting me; my contract
    will be cut by a year so ending this summer, probationers getting future jobs
    mean no chance for me, no supply work coming up. If I am lucky and get some
    work, I won't get paid the same as my colleagues. Too many changes threatened
    but no sign of any hope.

First of all, I am just being silly and over-reacting? If yes I need to
    chill out, but if not where are the unions and why are they not shouting
    loudly! I am, or any other person unemployed as of August 2011 any less worthy
    than NQT just out of their probationary year? If not why are we not all being
    given a fair chance at the work? I have friends that have been told that at
    least half of jobs will go to NQTs! Will the madness ever end or is it the end
    of education as we know it?

Sorry for the rant just feeling down.

2. categed

categed New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

[​IMG] Does anyone else feel overwhelmed by all the negativity towards
    teachers and education at the moment? I feel really unsettled about it all. I
    also find it hard to get my head around the changes there may well take place
    to our terms and condition and the apathy of some of teachers. Do they know
    something that I don't? Is it just because I am temporary not permanent that
    they are not worrying like me? The cuts are already affecting me; my contract
    will be cut by a year so ending this summer, probationers getting future jobs
    mean no chance for me, no supply work coming up. If I am lucky and get some
    work, I won't get paid the same as my colleagues. Too many changes threatened
    but no sign of any hope.

First of all, I am just being silly and over-reacting? If yes I need to
    chill out, but if not where are the unions and why are they not shouting
    loudly! I am, or any other person unemployed as of August 2011 any less worthy
    than NQT just out of their probationary year? If not why are we not all being
    given a fair chance at the work? I have friends that have been told that at
    least half of jobs will go to NQTs! Will the madness ever end or is it the end
    of education as we know it?

Sorry for the rant just feeling down.

3. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

No,you are not. I'm lucky enough to be in a permanent post but the feeling of being under attack from every which way is terrifying. On top of all those attacks,the continual changes brought in by CfE do not help either. There are days when I think my head might explode.

4. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

I'd like to disagre with you, but I can't. I'm in the same boat- qualified a few years ago, still on supply. It's ****.

5. categed

categed New commenter

Normal

false
    false
    false

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable

Thanks, at least I know I am not going mad. Other teachers that I have
    spoken to don't seem to think it will be too bad, or believe that supply
    teachers should be pain less?[​IMG]

Maybe we need to bypass the unions and start a campaign ourselves! Raise
    awareness and spirit among our fellow colleagues to fight for our futures, our
    children's future and the future of this country!

6. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis New commenter

categed,

Yes, there is something good to look forward to in education ? the knowledge that in the profession there are thousands of teachers who will retain their commitment, that others in the community will support them, that in time many more will see what is being done to education and react against it and that, in the end, you and your colleagues will get through this current period of negativity and rebuild what is being dismantled. They will do all this in the face of the hostility of the media, the dishonesty of politicians and the apathy of many of their ?colleagues?.

Teachers elsewhere have been through the same thing, faced years of struggle, not given up and won in the end.

7. sbf

sbf

Your not the only one that feels down about the situation. Most of the chat in the staffroom is about conditions and pay right now, oh and CfE.
    On the surface it look like the profession is slowly sliding down the plug hole with nothing to really stop it.
    Thats probably not quite the case but there seems to be a fair bit of anti teacher rhetoric about right now.

8. halfajack

halfajack Occasional commenter

We are the unions! They are shouting loudly (some of them so loudly their heads almost exploded) but we need to get behind them. I was at a Glasgow EIS meeting last night - if you're not in Glasgow I'm sure there will be one in your area at some point. I'm also planning to attend their temporary teachers' section meeting in March to hopefully get advice on how temporary staff can take part in industrial action without fear of hindering career progression. You ask where the unions are but the unions must be wondering their members are. I was one of only two people from my secondary school at the meeting I spoke about. I recognised four other people in the big hall (having worked in three Glasgow schools including one of my student placements, I expected to see a hell of a lot more familiar faces!) And yes, you should be doing things AS WELL AS getting behind your union. Write to your MP about pensions and to your MSP about changes to pay and conditions. There is strength in numbers. Politicians will not back down in the face of a few union officials on a negotiating committee. We ALL have to make our feelings clear, especially when we're getting close to Scottish Parliament elections!

9. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis New commenter

When the teaching profession and the children it teaches come under attack, some members of it will cave in, some will immediately position themselves to join in the attack on their colleagues for personal benefit, and some will resist. Among those who initially resist will be some who think the battle will be short. Other less naive souls know that the battle will be long. Resistance can take the form of industrial action, leafleting the public, advertising, letters to the editor, posts on sites such as this, Emails to journalists, letters to MPs, etc.

I publish below examples of what I mean. Because I basically have on my computer only what I wrote, I cannot give examples from other teachers, but I can assure you that there were many:

More letters to the editor were quoted at Review of McCrone teaching deal announced.

I have dozens of examples, created over the seven years it took to remove that government from office, but I will resist the temptation to quote them all. The point is that each person willing to fight will need to create dozens of examples, backed by facts and continue to do so even when all looks bleak.

I have read here that teachers in Scotland are not allowed to make public comment because they are council employees. I don?t see how your rights as a citizen can be overridden by your choice of employer. We were not intimidated by a ministerial order banning us from comment on education. Perhaps a few Egyptians from this week or a few Eastern Europeans from 1989 could visit to show how it is done.

10. I'm looking f

11. I'm looking f
    to going

12. I'm looking f
    to

13. I'm looking forward to going home at 1:30 today, because my Int. 2 are away on prelim exam leave. Result!

14. Do you think if we all chipped in a fiver we could get christopher curtis over here to help us? I'm being flippant but he would be very helpful. Perhaps, realistically, he could be passed on to the unions? His posts always reassure me that i'm not going mad and that there are ways to address our issues.

15. iamspartacus79

iamspartacus79 New commenter

I have worked with a couple of colleagues who, having been in education for thirty years, have seen initiatives come and go. They have all said that CfE will come and go like all other educational fads. The key is to weather the storm people and hope that common sense will prevail.

16. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

It does count . . . . in my book at least [​IMG]

17. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

It counts!

18. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

.....and so say all of us !! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]