1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there anything analogue you miss?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

A programme I listened to today was about people who hanker back to the pre-digital days. Vinyl records, photos you can hold, proper books etc. They spoke of the tactile pleasures such things have. One who had grown up in the digital world spoke of the occasion he moved home, with all his possessions packed into two IKEA boxes and reflected that it didn't like look like he owned much, despite having purchased as much as any other individual from the pre-digital era.

The digital world is very convenient, but is it better? Does an album downloaded in seconds bring the same enjoyment as the one you had to buy in a shop and carry home in anticipation of hearing? Was there greater pleasure in waiting a week to see what your holiday snaps would come out like? Do you hate reading books on a kindle and prefer having a bookcase full of all the books you bought?

If you had to pass on something that delighted you from the analogue age, to a child who had only ever experienced digital, what might it be?

monicabilongame likes this.
  2. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Fountain pens and good paper.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The pleasure of buying that LP you had saved up for over weeks by not spending your pocket money! Taking it home, playing it whilst loving the art work...:)

4. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

The disappointment of finding that apart from that one single on it and maybe another track, it was otherwise a waste of money.

5. Duke of York

True, but has the digital age altered that?

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Well I don't ''miss'' books... because I haven't gone digital with books.

I like having physical books. My wife would prefer I didn't.

7. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There are certainly times when I would prefer a digital wife.

8. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Talking to people in a pub or other social setting rather then being in a "Zombie World" where the zombies sit and stare at mobile phones all the time.

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Waiting for things with valves in to 'warm up'. As a kid I had an old art deco styled Murphy bakelite radio from before my time (c.1945) complete with huge speaker behind wickerwork, the inevitable crackle and fade, and Larkin's glowing wavebands with exotic names like Athlone, Motala, and Kalundberg. It worked beautifully until the wiring perished, so I sold it for spares on eBay. It's not like there's much out there on MW and LW any more anyway.

[​IMG]

I replaced it recently with a Bush DAC 90, which I gutted and put a modern pod speaker inside so I can still play whatever music I want but have the sound coming out of a bakelite case through a mesh speaker - it makes the difference. Like listening to chocolate :)

[​IMG]

10. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

11. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

You can have a different one for each day of the week :D

racroesus likes this.
  12. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Why one one thing and not another? We have a record player and a growing collection of records; but also CDs and digital music on devices.
    We have kindles as well as bookshelves full of books, and we have gigabytes of photos and videos but also plenty of photo albums.

In short we have more choice than ever and I like it like that!

Lalad, InkyP, Jamvic and 1 other person like this.
  13. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Yes in the sense that you can listen before you buy

Mangleworzle likes this.
  14. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I could dial down her bank account when she goes shopping without me and the batteries could be taken out when necessary.

les25paul likes this.
  15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

More than one wife? Please God, no.

colpee likes this.
  16. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I remember when the only way to hear new music or music you or your mates didn't have on vinyl or tape was on the radio. Writing in and requesting a song was a genuine way to hear that song and if you didn't buy (or borrow) it, you didn't hear it at all.

Then again there seems to be vastly more recorded music available these days.

colpee likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

There were at least two shops selling records in the small town I grew up in where you could go into a booth and listen to the album before buying...

monicabilongame, Jamvic and colpee like this.
  18. Duke of York

What if she got hacked?

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

She frequently gets hacked off at me.

blazer, lanokia and phlogiston like this.
  20. nomad

nomad Star commenter

For shame! My Bro-in-Law renovates them.

magic surf bus likes this.