1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there any room for marking with a black pen in English schools?

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by InformedConsent, Nov 12, 2011.

1. InformedConsent

InformedConsent New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman">Please can you advise me. </font><font face="Times New Roman">I am teaching at private school in England and I am told to mark with a red pen instead of a black pen. I was marking according to Scottish training and my pupils' poems have been selected for publication in a UK wide competition. </font>I am told ofsted would not accept marking with black pen in Scottish way as other teachers are marking with red pen.
    Can you tell me what colour you were allowed to mark with? Is there any room for marking with a black pen in English schools.

2. InformedConsent

InformedConsent New commenter

<font face="Times New Roman">Please can you advise me. </font><font face="Times New Roman">I am teaching at private school in England and I am told to mark with a red pen instead of a black pen. I was marking according to Scottish training and my pupils' poems have been selected for publication in a UK wide competition. </font>I am told ofsted would not accept marking with black pen in Scottish way as other teachers are marking with red pen.
    Can you tell me what colour you were allowed to mark with? Is there any room for marking with a black pen in English schools.

3. There's no set rule regarding colour unless an agreement has been made in your establishment. More important obviously is the quality of feedback given when marking.