1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

is there any point....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by drpallad, Dec 1, 2011.

1. drpallad

drpallad New commenter

hi guys, i'm after some advice on how my murky past affects my future career. here's the short version:
    10 yrs or so i was convicted of some reasonably serious offences involving class a drugs and the supply of. i rehabilitated, re-trained and worked as an adult ed tutor for a year or so later progressing to FE and completing my cert ed. i worked without problem for six years in a college setting teaching key & functional skills with reasonable success. family circumstances required me to take a career break but now, one year on i'm finding it hard to get back into education..
    the advice i need:
    am i prevented from working in compulsory education because of my history?[possesion with intent to supply] giving someone their own drugs back amounts to this in the eyes of the law.
    i dont have QTS but i'm looking at support roles in schools and getting nowhere fast. i'm now looking at a data role within a secondary school but the will to complete another application is waning.
    would anyone employ a convicted drug dealer in a school in any role?
    the circumstances behind my offences are much more complicated than the CRB report make it read in black and white, i was guilty by association but on paper i am tarnished with a very dirty brush..
    do i continue or do i give up on working in education again?

2. Not that I'm condemning you, because you've obviously taken great steps to sort yourself out and should be applauded for this, but I think you've got about as much chance of securing a job in any school as Gary Glitter.

3. Crowbob

Crowbob Established commenter

Some may, but I suspect many would have a bucket load of caution. Much easier to put your application in the bin. Personally, I wouldn't employ anyone to work with children who had a convinction of PWIT. Not worth the risk. Sorry.

4. drpallad

drpallad New commenter

thanks guys, as i suspected really...dam stupid circumstances!!!!
    i'll do this last one, mostly because i'd be really good at it but come the new year i think personal goals need revising.
    thanks for taking the time to answer

5. What about if you were to apply for teaching work in establishments where your background and rehabilitation may actually pay in your favour, e.g. teaching in prisons, young offenders etc?

Just a thought, i'm sure that someone with 'form' is going to get a similar reaction on application from most schools but in other institutions you could be seen as a useful example.

6. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Although i tend to agree that any convition on a CRB check seems to go against any potential teacher...it really depends upon the school and the area you want to teach in...If you have already worked in adult education you might get a role there..or as an advisor on say a programme informing and warning of drugs.....maybe even witha charity of some sort.
    We all have to pay for our past.........and in this case you are meeting the system .Im sorry that yoor past has caught up with you in your case....but in CRB cases i have heard of a woman who lost her job because the school discovered in her CRB that she ha a conviction for drunken behaviour in her very distant past!.so drugs related..im sorry i am not sure you would get a look in.You could post this on the headteacher area and see what they say!

7. drpallad

drpallad New commenter

thanks Jenny, for your thinking time on this...pretty sure the last place they'll let an ex-con teach is in prison though...shame because i learnt a lot from my time away and i feel i could really help people in similar situations.
    my adult ed work was with the long term unemployed, some were just idle but equal amounts just needing to hear its possible to come away from a destructive lifestyle and be successful.
    my college work involved working with low entry level students who were treading a similar path to mine and i know i made a difference. the chance to make it again seems slim.
    for now i'll amuse myself by helping the local lower school with reading (they know my history) and resource writing for a 'college' in India. not many bills get paid this way but it prevents the insanity of job seeking
    thank you

8. drpallad

drpallad New commenter

thanks for this reply, i'm happy to be up front and honest about my past; knowing its going to bite me, it seems pointless any other way. i'm doing some charity/ voluntary work for now but think i'll take it to the heads as you suggest.
    thanks

9. If you had QTS and a raft of other things going for you it might make people look twice at whether the drug conviction was an insurmountable problem. As it is, you're giving them a whole range of reasons for binning your application.

10. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

No chance. Not like it's a speeding fine or a drunk and disorderly.

11. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think with how hard it is to get a job for anyone at the moment people are just pushing any questionable applicationsstraight into the bin. I agree with the poster who entioned about working with youths who have problems. I would think you'd make a shining example as its not as if the offence is recent and you've done alot since.
    Is there no chance of picking up work at your last employment or could they not recommend you to somewhere? Its pretty pants for all of us jobseekers so best of luck x

12. I would argue, however, that after a sentence has been served, and a fair amount of water has gone under the bridge, it should certainly be seen in same light as the latter, although why you'd compare it to the former is a mystery to me.

13. drpallad

drpallad New commenter

thanks to all that posted a reply, not happy with the gary glitter reference but i'll survive.
    i've had a positive response from the headteacher forum so i'm going to stick with it for a little while longer. maybe in vain but i worked hard for my cert ed and even harder to prove i wasn't the person portrayed on paper.
    thanks guys, much appreciated views :)

14. Sadly these days so many people are chasing so few jobs (particularly since supply teaching's deceased as an existence these days unless you're prepared to work for free - and pay the petrol for the priviledge) - you've pretty much got no chance anyway these days even with a clean slate.
    What about looking toward trying to get a post with a charity working within education (although I know groups running projects within schools are feeling the pinch of the budget cuts quite badly as well - my parents' business does some and they're really struggling with the current economic mess) - and using your experience from coming out the other side of it that way?

15. Sorry about that; I was suggesting that, unfortunately, most people tar everyone with past convictions with the same brush (apart from drunk and disorderly apparently, which, as alcohol is a legal, taxed drug, is only the same as a speeding offence).

I might not think you have much of a chance, but that doesn't mean I think you don't deserve one; just that the majority of people in education won't see past the CRB check.

16. drpallad

drpallad New commenter

its fine, apology most welcome. i did get the humour and the comparison in situations
    i'm coming to a similar conclusion about the CRB, clearly it is a necessary tool to protect but i wish it was not so black and white sometimes. ironically if i had not been honest with the police i would not have incriminated myself by saying i was giving the drugs in my possesion back to the owner. i balance that by knowing i'd probably be dead if i hadn't gone to prison when i did but it seems only alcohol abusers and speeders can rehabilitat. really do appreciate the honesty given by posters, thank you all very much