1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there any hope?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by emmyisobel, May 12, 2019.

1. emmyisobel

emmyisobel New commenter

Hi everyone, just looking for a bit of advice.
    To cut a long story short I gained my secondary pgce in 2009, although getting a few interviews I was unable to secure a full time post so worked in supply until 2015 when I had my youngest daughter-since then I have been self employed but now that my youngest has started full time school I really would like to get into teaching. A couple of jobs have come up in my area and I really want to apply but have I any real chance of getting a foot in the door? I am in the South West

pepper5 likes this.
  2. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

yes of course. What subject are you?

pepper5 likes this.
  3. emmyisobel

emmyisobel New commenter

geography-went I did my pgce we were told move away from the south west if you can-when people get jobs here they literally stay in them till they pop their clogs!!!! I am trying to widen my knowledge and am undertaking an open masters at the mo-just done 60 credits in pyschology

pepper5 likes this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Basically you have had no full time positions and have done a number of years supply.

In addition you are in an area where there are traditionally very few jobs and you're looking for a position in an are where there is no shortage.

I hate to be a pessimist but you are really up against it as far as getting a permanent position.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. emmyisobel

emmyisobel New commenter

not pessimistic just realistic! thought as much-well lets see what happens!

pepper5 likes this.
  6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

sorry, I missread this. I thought your childrren had FINISHED school, not just started.

Full time school teaching isn't really compatible with motherhood.

There are other options. have you thought about tutoring? primary? job share? teaching business? colleges? adult education?

hope4thefuture and pepper5 like this.
  7. emmyisobel

emmyisobel New commenter

Surely there must be some mothers out there you are also teachers! just want to be a geography teacher!-really don't fancy primary, no nothing about business and down these parts there is not a lot of adult education provision. Things are not looking good for me are they

sooooexcited and pepper5 like this.
  8. emmyisobel

emmyisobel New commenter

*obviously I meant know not no

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

There are some. not in my school. There is one mother in my school who is part time, and is desperate to cut her hours further.

There was a mother with school age children in a school I worked in a few years ago, but she had her mother living with her.

emmyisobel likes this.
  10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what were you self employed as? How about online tutoring?

pepper5 likes this.
  11. emmyisobel

emmyisobel New commenter

It is so sad but I love the classroom and my subject

pepper5 likes this.
  12. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

In my independent (Kent), all but one in my department has children; three of us under 8. In fact, across my school, at least 30% have children. So, it's not all bad news to have small children and be a full-time teacher.

13. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

I am a full time mother, full time Headteacher and occasional class teacher. You can do it, it's just bl**dy hard.

Don't give up.

14. pwtin

pwtin Senior commenter

Given that it appears you have not set foot in a classroom since 2015 I would be pleasantly surprised if you managed to secure a permanent post. Why not go back on supply and aim to get a long term placement to start with.

sabrinakat, agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  15. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

I have colleagues in my primary school who have children and teach full time but it's not easy. Primary shouldn't be chosen as an option that's more compatible with motherhood.
    I think you'll have to do supply if you're getting nowhere with job applications. Could be a way to get your foot in the door.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  16. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I'm sure its far easier to be a mother if you are a head teacher

17. I did my PGCE with a two year old, and have worked since then with a child still not in school full time. It is doable, although hard work at times. I hate parents evenings as she is inevitably asleep by the time I get home, but other than that, I make it work. That said, both mine and my OH parents are retired and can provide wrap around care from nursery hours to help us out. If you don't have that, it can get expensive quickly with afterschool care

agathamorse likes this.
  18. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 New commenter

How so? How is it easier? Just wondering why you thought this, that’s all. I’m neither a teacher or a headteacher but I do work in a school and I am a mother!

19. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

because you can just decide to make allowances for yourself any time you like! Because your job is so much more flexible than a teaching job, because you can award yourself the priviledge of working from home , because you can afford so much more childcare, because the hours of a head teacher are so much less than the hours of a teacher

etc etc etc etc etc