1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IS there ANY Australians who have secured a permanent post in the UK??

Discussion in 'Overseas trained teachers' started by artbot, May 2, 2012.

1. Hi
    We are in big trouble...Since the granting of QTS we are applying for jobs but getting nowhere-at this rate we wont be able to live here if this keeps up!
    Is there any Australians who have apllied for jobs on TES and <u>actually been offered a job? </u>
    We are up to 29 applications and have only managed to get 4 interviews-have one this week-BUT NO OFFER-and they all knew each other at one interview!!
    10 years experience, a Masters of Education (in australia)-Is it hopeless?? How are others doing??
    Signed
    FEDUP
    Primary by the way...no secondary-behaviour issue

2. Hi
    We are in big trouble...Since the granting of QTS we are applying for jobs but getting nowhere-at this rate we wont be able to live here if this keeps up!
    Is there any Australians who have apllied for jobs on TES and <u>actually been offered a job? </u>
    We are up to 29 applications and have only managed to get 4 interviews-have one this week-BUT NO OFFER-and they all knew each other at one interview!!
    10 years experience, a Masters of Education (in australia)-Is it hopeless?? How are others doing??
    Signed
    FEDUP
    Primary by the way...no secondary-behaviour issue

3. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

Currently there are a huge number of teachers from the UK looking for jobs many have been looking for 2 years. There are jobs but you often have to be prepared to move area for them.

4. Australian trained, got the third job I interviewed for, after 12 months offered role of Head of Department, and this in a subject where there aren't many jobs...

5. Well you have done very well-Have you applied for QTS? Are you happy in England? We are but we are struggling with this badly..Trying to do something about it...Where abouts are you though?

6. I've got QTS, I decided it was better to get it than fight it, so I spent the money and got a PGDE and had no trouble getting an interview or job. Happy enough, but the money and the lifestyle of the Middle East beckoned, so I'm off to Dubai in September nearly &pound;1500 a month better off... I am currently in the South East.

7. wOw middle east-Dubai -great city-I wish we could-but have family and settled in school...u will have to let me know what u think of Dubai....please keepin touh...

8. Yes - I am secondary, but have a permanent job. I came on a 2 term contract a few years ago, and have worked in 3 different schools now. Got my QTS last year, and am about to be assessed as an AST. Is it the resume/application which is causing you to lose out? If you want me to have a look, let me know and i'll give you my email address...

9. HI,
    I have just applied for QTS now we can apply with our Aus Quals.
    I gained a full time HOD position in July 2011. I moved over here in Dec 2010 and got a temp job through an agency. I applied for 4 jobs before getting the HOD position. It is permanent and all is going well. I am in Kent.

Where are you living?
    Happy to help if I can!

E

10. Great thread [​IMG]

11. seza-lou

seza-lou New commenter

Not me personally as I have secured a position in The Netherlands which is what I wanted but I have had a couple of friends who are primary trained who have gotten positions in London and are loving it!

12. roverlei

roverlei New commenter

As an Australian here in London, I've always found it a way easier option to act like an Australian educator, and go independent. Despite the fact that the GTC has been scrapped, I've found most LEA schools in the UK far too inward-looking, and many/most won't even look at overseas qualifications, even from countries like ours with an equivalent standard of training.

I'm very happy in the independent system here, just as I was back home in Australia.

13. OK -good idea-hope u see this! please send emai address and we can have a chat-VERY worried atthis stage that wont have anything for September andno money over the summer...(again-3rd summer now)

14. I am happy for you-any vacancies at your school-music/general? I am in an independent school but there is a lack of children intake and good old overseas teacher(me) first to go as NOT contracted thanks to the agency.

15. Thats awful again-gee 13 years experience thats more than we have!-
    Exactly....Just as I thought ..awful-yes well we are in Hertfordshire/Bedfordshire-I wonder if we should try London were they are more understanding?-30 minutes by train...
    I do;t think I will be seeing Oz for a very long time not even for a visit. thats a worry....yeah thats how we feel, however if we cant do this what choices do we have??
    I am about to retrain outside of teaching.What would that be in if u dont mind me asking?

Agreed about the conditions....very worrying... unacceptable-atleast we have QTS-taken 9 years to get that now no jobs...cant win......>>>

16. Great! We need all the help we can get to secure for September! We are in Beds-

17. roverlei

roverlei New commenter

Afraid not. Most independent schools will recruit from February for September - get in early, and start looking then. Whilst many will no doubt think I'm a cynic and anti-public education, I think it's a far easier solution for OTTs in this country. That's just been my experience, and not just in the UK.

18. Have been looking but there is not enough Indpendent in this area-better Surrey or west of London-things are bad so have to re-register with QCT if they offer some outback job will have to consider and most likely take as cant keep this up-no job... no good,,,what a waste....

19. roverlei

roverlei New commenter

Are you in a position to move house? I think one needs to be prepared to travel for the right school. From September my commute will be one hour in each direction - that's just life in London, I suppose.

If you're a quality candidate with a good record of employment, independents are an excellent option, but you do need to keep your eyes peeled for jobs year round as these schools are very organised - staff don't resign at the last minute. Very often, staff are leaving very long-term jobs for a promotion, or are retiring. With this in mind, independent schools will advertise more than a term in advance, possibly more like 1.5 terms. Best of luck.

20. would this be on tes only?