1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there an ideal time for baby to arrive to get max maternity pay/hols?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Dalian Daisy, Apr 6, 2011.

1. I know this has probably been asked before & of course babies come when they come no matter when we might or might not want them but was just curious...[​IMG]

2. Well, my baby is due mid October and I am officially offon mat leave from sept 4th but unofficially it will be end of summer term, then I will "go back" at the start of the summer holidays so will get paid for the. Therefore 58 weeks leave:) I think that is about as good as it gets unless anyone knows otherwise? Hope that helps!!

3. GemLP

GemLP New commenter

Agree!!
    My bambino is due late sept and am doing the same thing -
    which means December is the 'best' month to conceive in...!!

4. handrail

handrail New commenter

You need to get pregnant around December/January time for baby to be
    born September/October for max maternity leave benefits. My son was born
    18th September so couldn't have worked out better :eek:) Good luck ttc xx

5. If you're planning on returning to work though, you'll be paying an extra year of childcare for your Autumn born baby!

6. Still don't really get this- I think if you're lucky enough to conceive a September baby then the benefits far outweigh this issue; e.g. maternity leave and pay, baby being amongst oldest in year group, etc. Childcare is expensive but I wouldn't let that affect my desire for an Autumn baby.
    I was stupidly lucky and have an EDD of 12th Sept so am doing pretty much what genic is doing although will prob return before the end of the summer term to get some practice in before September 2012! I am pleased that I get the summer hols to relax and spend time with baby number one whilst only 32 weeks with number 2- hopefully won't be too tired/fat/exhausted to enjoy the time with her!

7. Thanks for all the replies everyone- very interesting! Can I ask those ladies that are expecting in Spet/Oct time, when/what month did you start trying or was it just very good timing that you've got pregnant Dec/Jan tim . Just curious! Also in relation to the expensive autumn baby issue, I think we've all taught August babies ( I am one!) and seen how much some can struggle and the huge gap between the older ones and younger ones so wouldn't be too worried about that.

8. chocolateheaven

chocolateheaven New commenter

I started trying in December, because I started a new job in Sept and didn't want to take maternity during my first year there. Waited until if we conceived on the first day we tried, it would be ok time-wise. I was lucky enough to fall in my first month of trying (which I never expected in a million years!) and am due on September 22nd. Timing couldn't be more perfect as far as I'm concerned :D
    The best advice I was given is that you never know when you'll conceive, how long it'll take etc. So don't start trying 6months before in the expectation that it'll take you that long, if it would be a problem if you conceived sooner. As we fell so quickly, had we started trying sooner it would have been problematic at work. Waiting was so hard, but it was the best thing for us and I'm feel so blessed to have not had trouble falling.

9. and just because you are due in September, doesn't mean you will give birth in September. I was 2 weeks early- I had a friend who was 4 weeks early- so with all the best intentions- you can not guaratee anything, anyway.
    TBH, what will be will be. August babies do fine, we all get by, some people take months to conceive - and most people just take it as pot luck. If you get too bogged down with conceiving in a particular month- what will happen if you don;t? Would you wait for another year? So, chill out and enjoy the ride.

10. kittenmittens

kittenmittens New commenter

Just to add a different perspective, I got pregnant in early March 2010 and had my daughter last December. I had the summer holidays for the 2nd trimester which was brilliant as could actually do stuff! Went away, got the nursery sorted, shopping done, saw friends etc. Then I went back to work in September for 6 weeks until half term. LO was born just before the Christmas hols and now I'm on maternity leave until the first day of the summer holidays but will actually go back in September. So I don't have to use the 3 months' unpaid maternity leave but get paid over the summer holidays. My request for flexible working has been granted (2 days a week)- going back in September has meant HT couldn't really find a reason to say no! Plus I wasn't heavily pregnant in the summer.
    I should add that it took nearly a year to conceive (was only 25 when started trying) and I was desperate to get pregnant at any time of year, but it has worked out really well for us anyway. There are pros and cons for an month you conceive, eg a December birthday is very close to Christmas and it was quite hard to get out and about because of the weather, but these are small things really.

11. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

When i started trying for my 1st i had in my head for some reason that it would probably take about 3 months so i started trying at the beginning of Sept, right after my honeymoon, so that i would hopefully get pregnant in Dec/Jan. It took me a week of trying and I had a June baby [​IMG]
    Although i missed out on Summer hols pay, it was nice not to be heavily pregnant in the Summer, and it was lovely to have a newborn while the weather was nice so we could go out a lot.
    My 2nd baby is due in just under 3 weeks. I was impatient to try again for this one and didn't want to wait to have a Sept baby!

12. The point is that while you gain on the maternity pay you need to consider the extra cost of childcare for the year before the child starts school, that is if you are looking at it from a purely financial perspective, which probably noone is anyway but that was the topic of the thread.
    Of course it depends on how much you're earning, how much childcare costs, and whether you're planning to retun to work full time, part time or not at all.
    Personally I have always wanted an August baby so that the child is the youngest in the year group. I was born in the summer and always felt it was an advantage, so did my cousin who was born on August 31st. Both of us were amongst the highest achievers in our year groups.
    As it happens though I have fertility problems and would be grateful to achieve at any time! I am also not currently living in the UK so the school year group boundries are different here anyway.

13. Really? Why? You probably would have been the highest achievers no matter when you were born; I am July and was also a high achiever. However, when you generalise, children do better if they are older when they start school. You can tell the "summer borns" a mile off in my year 1 class.
    I wish you all the best with TTC x

14. I meant that it felt like an advantage because we finished school at a younger age! I went straight on to university and was happy to finish before my 21st birthday (I felt soooo old!) and my cousin took a gap year and was the same age as some of her classmates that went straight from school.
    I know that generally children do better when they're the oldest in the group, I guess I was hoping that my children would be high achievers too and would feel the same advantage I did from starting school early!

15. Maximum maternity benefits would be for a december baby and not september as many people have commented. Your maternity pay is based on an average of 15 weeks earnings prior to your delivery date, and as most people go up the payscale in september, in order to ensure your maternity pay is based on your new pay scale, you need to have been on it for 15 weeks (autumn term). You would then go off in December, be able to have a nice 6 months, and then return just before the summer holidays, to then go off on full pay for the summer!!. Unfortunately it doesn't work like that though as my due date is June 25th!!!

16. GemLP

GemLP New commenter

Really?? I didnt know this - I thought it would just be automatically calculated from your pay when you start maternity leave?

17. Trudy

Trudy New commenter

Well, I have 2 September borns, and with both began my mat leave on the first day of term in Sept, and both times my mat pay was based on my 'new' point on the scale, just as if I was really at work, even though I wasn't.

18. I'm still so angry reading your stupid, thoughtless posts Stephy.
    Chica makes a good point- some of my friends extended their maternity leaves or phased their return by using annual leave which we don't get- what exactly is the difference between that and getting paid for the summer holidays?
    I personally STILL wouldn't put an exam class before my OWN FAMILY- are you insane?

19. Oh and I was damn lucky to conceive a September baby, which was absolutely planned so that I could make the most of the extra paid time off with my firstborn before starting maternity leave. I am actually counting my blessings that it happened this way, and if that makes me a terrible person then so be it. (Incidentally, my first was born in January because we wanted a child and didn't even consider when it was to be born in terms of what was best for maternity benefits.)

20. Absolutely not does this make you a terrible person. It contributes to you being a wonderful mummy, thinking about the best for you and your family. Don't apologise.I don't care when I have a baby, but as an 'extra' bonus I would too be happy like yourself if baby was due at a time when I was able to get maximum benefit. But like you and me and the majority of the ladies on here, we're just very happy and lucky to have a baby full stop x