1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there an easier English accent for Spanish native speakers?

Discussion in 'English' started by RamiroRamiro, Oct 16, 2017.

1. RamiroRamiro

RamiroRamiro New commenter

Hi everybody,
    I'd like to ask you your opinion, I hope I can explain myself properly... Let's go.
    I'm looking for material for my students. They're Spanish (as myself) and they're studying English. I was wondering if there is a "preferred" accent for foreign studens depending on their mother tongue phonetics.
    Example: Let's seay Spanish people find easier American accent, but don't understand Irish accent. However, Chinese people find easier Australian accent, but don't understand Scottish accent (e.g.).

In that case, do you know which English accent would be easier tu understand for Spanish students? And the most difficult? What about varieties, do you think that an Argentinean variety speaker would have different conditions that a Iberic variety speaker?

Tahnks in advance!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

They would find an accent easier if they were more used to hearing it.

I teach at an international school - American, Australian, British and Canadian teachers, and the international students understand all of us because they're used to us.

Which accent do you find easier?

3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

In what situation are they likely to use English? Will they be sitting a particular exam? I would say British English or American English would be the better options, and as the poster above says, the accent they are more likely to hear. If you look on the British Council website and the BBC English website you will find different activities usually with a variety of accents. I don't think there are any short cuts.

4. RamiroRamiro

RamiroRamiro New commenter

@blueskydreaming "Which accent do you find easier?"... I find easier the English when speakers speak sooowly ;). I suppose is American English, but I don't know if it is the same for all (or most of) Spanish native peakers; I suppose that it depends where did you learned it; however, I learnt British English...
    @frangipani123 They're not learning for an specific exam, just learning online, each for a different purpose. Most of them are beginners. Yeah, AM and BR English are more usual to hear. But I still feel curious about "phonetic determinsm", if that exists...
    Thank you both!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2017
  5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Apparently there are various common sounds that occur in every single language - I talked about this with my Chinese students years ago, and we thought of some examples together... All I can remember is I/eye in English is the same sound as ai (love) in Mandarin. I cannot remember the source of this information, sorry!

Just having a look on Google there is research to show that our biological makeup impacts on language and sounds, so for you this suggests that it does not matter which accent your students listen to. However, variety is the spice of life :)