1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a union that's best for Independent schools?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by scats, Jan 18, 2012.

1. I was just wondering if there is a particular union that is best for people in the independent sector?
    Also, do schools in the independent sector respond to unions the same way that state schools do? In other words, do unions pack the same punch?
    Sadly I may need some union support so i'm in need of some advice on this [​IMG]

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I cannot say which is best. I can, however, say that ATL has a dedicated Independent Schools section, so they have perhaps more experience and understanding of the sector.
    A union packs a punch or not depending entirely on the Head and Governors and how they stand up to unreasonable and unjustified claims and actions, in my view. A strong Head/Govs in either state or indy will not just give in because the union says so!
    Well, I am really sorry to hear this. And even sorrier to tell you that most unions will not deal on your behalf with an issue that happened before you join. In other words, if you wait until you are in deep water before you turn to them they will not help out.
    You need to belong to a union before the problem raises its ugly head, I'm afraid.
    You could try, but most won't help.
    I have said this time and time again:
    Y O U A L L N E E D T O B E I N A U N I O N.
    J O I N O N E N O W !!!!!!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars