1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a sixth form parent's night?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by remyk69, Apr 24, 2011.

1. 1. Yes, we have 6th form Parents' evenings, I would expect it to be the same in the majority of schools.

2. Depends on the area and the authority. In Hull we have 2 sixth form colleges which take students from most schools in the area. There are a couple of schools which have 6th forms. I teach in the East Riding where all schools have their own 6th forms. Some work together with other schools to make a viable experience for their students and there are local colleges who also take some of the students.

As to what a sixth form is, we have 3 Key stages in secondary. KS3 is (generally) years 7,8&9. KS4 is years 10 & 11 and at 16 years old is the end of compulsory education. KS5, sixth form, is years 12 & 13 and is when we teach 'A' levels along with GCSE re-sits and other courses which have been chosen by the students. Generally they leave after year 13 at the age of 18.

Hope that makes sense and is some use.

2. gruoch

gruoch Occasional commenter

Depends where you live. When I lived in the NE, one LA had no schools with VI forms. They are certainly less common than they were, but with the advent of Academies more are springing up. So watch this space, really.
    My last school had a VI form and we had parents' evenings. My daughter's FE college didn't.

3. Henriettawasp

Henriettawasp New commenter

Son's school (not a college) had sixth form parents' evenings which we dutifully attended - as well as termly reports. Must admit, once he had turned 18 it felt a bit odd to still be receiving these.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Did you mean 'How much might a main scale teacher teach in total?' or 'How much contact time does each student have in each subject?'