1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a range within pay points

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by helgarr, Oct 5, 2019.

1. helgarr

helgarr New commenter

Hi
    I have started a new job and I was put on MPS 6. I got my contact and it says my annual salary is 34663 based on the old pay scale. The NEU pay scale says MPS is 35008. Any advice on this please.

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

MPS6 means whatever your school Pay Policy says it means, there is no national payscale for MPS6. If they are following STPCD £35,008 was top of the Main Pay Range [MPR] at 1st September 2018 (£35,971 from September 2019 but most schools haven't formally decided their 2019/20 payscales yet).

Did you accept a job offer that just said your salary would be "MPS6" and didn't say what it would be in £££££ ? If you did you shouldn't have done.

Ask school HR for clarification.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    JohnJCazorla and strawbs like this.
  3. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

Echo what @Rott Weiler says. Some schools DO use the union guidleine pay scales; some don't. Perhaps ask your in school rep as I am sure they will have dealt with this before.

4. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Some schools have split MPS6 into two pay points, as was discussed some time ago. That might explain it. But, as others have said, the fact that STPCD no longer includes pay points means that the actual salary is what you need to check before accepting a job. I do think it wrong that terms like MPS6 are used by some schools when they are not agreeing with the ones published by the unions, which are the old STPCD points increased by the annual pay awards.