1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a link between English Language proficiency and GCSE Computer Science performance?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by stobirski, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Is there a causal relationship between English Language and GCSE Computer Science?

Poll closed Oct 14, 2018.
  1. There is no connection between English and Computer Science performance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. English literacy is an antecedent of Computer Science performance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Maths and English Language are joint predictors of GCSE Computer Science exam performance.

100.0%
  1. stobirski

stobirski New commenter

Many teachers' talk about the need for numeracy before selecting GCSE Computer Science. My informal examination of this shows that there is a positive correlation (this is based on a very small sample size so does not have statistical validity.) I would be interested to get the opinion of the community.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

In my view you need data, not opinions. And you'll need a large sample of data too - which I would imagine can only be obtained from Ofqual or the Awarding Bodies, as Centres' datasets will be too small.

elder_cat likes this.
  3. rizwanh721

rizwanh721 New commenter

I think if you want to guarantee high grade then indeed math and English are good predictors. The problem of using this approach is that it misses students who have a good level of abstract thinking but are unable to express it prior to the start of the course due to low scores in English and math. Often they will develop those skills concurrently to studying CS and succeed as a result. I would not have such an approach because CS or any other subject should be for all students.