1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a limit to how tall a human can grow?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ian60, Jan 28, 2011.

1. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I was covering similar figures with a class and rather boldly stated that there was a sort of biological/mathematical limit to how tall a human can grow as there would come a point when the skeleton would not be able to support the bulk. I don't just mean obesity.
    Am I talking ***?
    I am sure I was reading somewhere about the mass and surface area not rising linearly with height, and the conseqences thereof

2. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I was covering similar figures with a class and rather boldly stated that there was a sort of biological/mathematical limit to how tall a human can grow as there would come a point when the skeleton would not be able to support the bulk. I don't just mean obesity.
    Am I talking ***?
    I am sure I was reading somewhere about the mass and surface area not rising linearly with height, and the conseqences thereof

3. humans can certainly grow beyond a height their skeleton can sustain and live disabled lives - is there a point where this disability becomes automatically fatal?
    nice topic for a friday morning [​IMG]

4. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

5. ian60

ian60 New commenter