1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a grant for primary PGCE?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by seekinginformation, May 1, 2019.

1. seekinginformation

seekinginformation New commenter

I find myself more interested in teaching primary than secondary, but are there any financial incentives?

I have a 1st in physics and a masters. Money isn't the most important thing but a £28,000 grant is a lot to turn down.

Is there any financial support at all for primary?

Thanks

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Don't think so.

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Primary with maths has a £6000 bursary

Charly27 likes this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

5. seekinginformation

seekinginformation New commenter

Is there a combined primary and secondary Pgce?

Are teachers able to move between primary and secondary once they qualify?

6. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

As far as I can remember, Secondary PGCE means you can teach primary too but Primary PGCE means you can only teach primary.

7. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

PGCE with QTS entitles you to teach across all Key stages If you want experience across primary and secondary then your placements would be best served in a middle school. These tend to be in the south of the country.

MrMedia likes this.
  8. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It’s an unfortunate truth that the nation's parents of predominantly female primary teachers subsidise the tax payer to the tune of billions of pounds which is why the government doesn’t offer any bursaries except for maths. It’s outrageously sexist in my opinion.

Do the secondary PGCE and then take a job in a MAT with a primary or middle in its chain. Ask to be allowed to teach across.

Or subsidise the UK government by doing the primary route and paying for yourself.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. Charly27

Charly27 New commenter

Actually the government offers a range of bursaries including up to £26000 for Geography. Who knew! Sadly at the moment it’s only primary with maths. To begin to provide the 35000 teachers the country needs they need to pay at least all tuition fees and provide a flat rate bursary.

agathamorse likes this.
  10. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Only primary with maths gets a bursary, secondary bursaries are huge!

agathamorse likes this.