1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a future for cruise holidays?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Feb 16, 2020.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

A family member has just got back from a 2 week Mediterranean cruise with a souvenir of norovirus. Apparently quite a common occurrence. Then there are the quarantined coronavirus cruises. I’ve also read that criminal activity is another hazard. How are cruise companies going to sell their cabins now?

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Remember the Viking Sky?

The only reason thousands of people didn't die was because the storm ended. Evacuating by helicopter was going to take 3 days, the ship was 20 minutes from the rocks.

emerald52 and coffeekid like this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I've been a bit terrified of ships on open water since the Zeebrugge Disaster. I was a teenager when it happened, and I still have dreams about it. I don't think I'd ever go on a cruise.

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

The format doesn't appeal to me at all. I always sit outside on channel crossings if the weather's not horrible. Too many people everywhere.

Some of the vessels look stupidly top-heavy for rough seas, and an inside cabin would drive me scatty. No future as far as I'm concerned, but each to their own.

Aquamarina1234 and emerald52 like this.
  5. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Don't say this as am having dreadful withdrawal symptoms as I do not have a cruise booked this year for Celebrity in September in the Med :( e lo
    I have my cruise holidays. Never a glimmer of novovirus. I take anti bacterial wipes with me and wipe down telephone, door handles in room etc. Til you have travelled with those balcony doors open to listen to the gentle wake from the ship etc... you can't knock it. Am wailing at the thought they might do all sorts of deals for this year when I have MrREMfan booked to go back to the USA for a family visit/wedding.....

needabreak, blazer, emerald52 and 2 others like this.
  6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

We have been on 7 cruises in the last 9 years and we have never come across any of the issues that you mentioned. As long as you follow personal hygiene rules you are perfectly safe.

As regards to crime we saw no evidence of this at all.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Can't stand the idea of cruises. Our neighbours proudly told us that on their last cruise they had two hours "to do" Venice. Having owned an apartment there for some years, I said I was surprised as you can't really "do" Venice in less than a month. They said they had sailed down the Guidecca Canal (helping to undermine goodness knows how many buildiings in the process) and so had seen most of the city: they just needed to get a coffee in Piazza San Marco to complete the job, so two hours was more than enough. :(

8. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Nothing would persuade me to go on a cruise. I've mentioned before that my daughter is a maritime lawyer (although her remit is cargo ships) and some of the horror stories she tells beggar belief. The thought of being in a (relatively) confined space with hundreds of or even a few thousand people fills me with horror. Coupled with the regimented nature of cruising itself, seasickness and goodness knows what diseases on board - it's a no-brainer!

bajan, emerald52 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Nor me. We did a couple of DFDS mini-cruises to Denmark and Sweden when we were courting and that was enough for us, particularly as storm broke out on the way back from the second one. I can't remember how long the trip takes, but they organised it as a three-day trip that gives you four hours in Scandinavia while the crew does whatever needs doing before the return journey.

Food was good if you like Smörgåsbord, but that was about all it offered, apart of course, from the opportunity to have an illicit relationship where you're unlikely to bump into anyone you know, which I suspect is the main reason for the popularity of these mini cruises.

Even after only a day at sea, you get bored.

emerald52 likes this.
  10. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Same here. I know a lot of people enjoy them but it's not for me.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

We might do a river cruise - wouldn't do an ocean one.

When I was doing my research we did two "cruises" in the North Sea on a converted trawler - the first one (off the coast of Iceland) we were in force 8 or 9 winds for the best part of three days.

After that I never worried too much about seasickness.

The winds were so strong some of the seabirds took refuge on the deck.

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

That's a bit precious - most of us can't afford to spend such a time in one city. (Which doesn't mean that 2 hours is sensible either).

PS Given the damage large ships do to Venice, why didn't the city authorities ban them years ago?

needabreak likes this.
  13. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

They've never really appealed to me but each to their own. Not interested in beach-n-booze holidays either.

Being locked in an inside cabin while possibly brewing a virus would finish me!! I'd need sedation. :eek:

:D

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Same with us - we like to go and see stuff when we are abroad.

15. maggie m

maggie m Senior commenter

I like a nice canal cruise. Great mooring at a different pub each evening:D

16. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

please beggar our beliefs.

PLLEEEESE :)

17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I usually say "never say never" but as others have said, the idea of being trapped with hundreds of others on the sea is pretty grim. I prefer to go where there aren't many English speakers.

18. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Pick the right cruise and you'll be perfectly at home, then.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Try Glasgow.

lindenlea likes this.
  20. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Well I can't reveal details, but it's things like the 'etiquette' of being on a ship and the regimented system of disembarking in order to get 5 minutes in the port before the ship leaves - with or without you!
    A few piracy stories (although admittedly more common with cargo ships) and a lot of disgruntled passengers who spoil the cruise for others, not to mention those high profile disasters.

Corvuscorax, primarycat and emerald52 like this.