1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is there a bank of IEP targets anywhere?

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by wogglylegs, Dec 4, 2007.

1. wogglylegs

wogglylegs New commenter

I'd love to have a bank of targets that I could give to teachers to help them write IEPs. Does such a thing exist? I used to work in a school with IEP writer but don't have it anymore and miss the progressive targets.

2. wogglylegs

wogglylegs New commenter

I'd love to have a bank of targets that I could give to teachers to help them write IEPs. Does such a thing exist? I used to work in a school with IEP writer but don't have it anymore and miss the progressive targets.

3. JulesDaulby likes this.
  4. Your school should use something to help you plan targets progressively, most use either, Bsquared, PIVATS, IEP writer, or at least their own equivalent supporting the planning/schemes of work??? Seems a bit unfair for you if there's nothing....Best of luck

5. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

JulesDaulby likes this.
  6. bluebell27

bluebell27 New commenter

From personal experience, you need to be careful of over relying on the IEP writer for individual targets.
    I remember discussing a pupil with our Senco for a particular 'social' target specific to his personal needs and the Senco was coming up with allsorts of 'similar' targets but none addressed what I said needed working on. I actually asked the Senco if she could write this particular target by hand. [such a simple one but just not on IEP writer]. I felt it wasn't personal at all but just used general statements.

Another thing that happened a while back was when Our Senco was printing out the IEPs, [A very busy time for her I know] I later approached her and pointed out that although the child was a female, she had forgotten to adapt the layout, so it referred to he and his all the way through!! I mentioned it so that it wouldn't go out to the parent like that but I was too late!

JulesDaulby likes this.
  7. minnie me

minnie me Lead commenter

Agre that a good IEP is one which is generated by the school and not via software - I am working on producing a comment bank with language / stratgeies/approaches specific to our school -I ' ve seen far too many IEP formats which are pointless and not worth the paper on which they are written - harsh but true !

JulesDaulby likes this.
  8. Dodros

Dodros Senior commenter

The old rule of GIGO (Garbage In, Garbage Out) certainly still applies to computer software. However, in fairness to IEPWriter (I have no shares in Learn How Publications!), it's perfectly possible with this program to amend existing targets and strategies and also to add your own. We did the latter because there aren't any in-built IEPWriter targets applicable to hearing impairment or autistic spectrum disorders. And IEPWriter is smart enough to alter "his" to "her" automatically in targets and strategies. The first page of IEPWriter has a button to click to select male or female gender. If you set this correctly (or automatically via SIMS), then you won't get "his/her" errors.

JulesDaulby likes this.
  9. wogglylegs

wogglylegs New commenter

Thanks for your replies. I have used IEP writer in the past and loved having the targets at my disposal but don't particularly want to use it as a package. Ideally I would just like to have the targets and use them in my own way.

10. I bought IEP writer but had difficulty using the prescribed format for individual needs. I therefore downloaded all the suggested targets put them into a file and added my own. It obviously means I have to type them out individually but it makes the IEP more personal.

11. Hello

We had IEP writer when I started as SENCo and the policy of GOGO was strong and pungent. I got around this by meeting all teachers and devising targets with them, based on real experience of working with the children and a good knowledge of the Level 1 and 2 curriculum where most of the SEN children attained. IEP writer IEPs had been generated, filed and ignored for a number of years, and a change to child centered targets based on expectations of their being useful provided a useful way out of them.

Useful IEP writer targets are at best hard to find and at worst totally lacking in progression. However there should be a text file on the Server which can be cut and pasted. Or printed out with all the targets and such. You will end up then with a totally unmanageable thick set of papers. If that is useful for you then so be it.

Alison Carson. Best use SMART achievement criteria and let Targets be child centered and understandable.

12. I totally agree with goodie34 - they must be child centred and understandable. I write our IEP's in conjunction with our multidiciplinary team-we are a special school - and they are relevant to the child. If a child makes progression and we need to write the next target we think round what our ultimate goal is and take a tiny step towards it.

13. Your post are links to own products - spammer alert!

14. Krayna

Krayna New commenter

The children need to feel that they are progressing...so if you show that they can reach their personal targets, this is really good!

15. flapfish

flapfish New commenter

For PSED targets you could use PIVATS or the Autism Education Trust Progression Framework.