1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the word 'buggy' politically correct?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by UpsonDowns, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Please excuse my ignorance, not being a mother I am unsure of the politically correct words used for the area where a parent would park their 'buggy' whilst inside the nursery?

We are producing a collection of signs for this area and they are currently titled 'Buggy Park', 'Buggy Bay', is this correct or is a different name given?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, you never know, we may even throw in a free sign to the best title given!!

2. 'Please park/leave your pushchairs here [​IMG]'
    I think Buggy Park is ok?
    If you're going for true political correct-ness you should probably add in that the buggies are left at their owners risk and the school will not be held responsible for any missing pushchairs/pushchair contents (including children) [​IMG]

3. Well our local doctors surgery which is pretty shiny and new, and part of the NHS therefore politically correct to the eyeballs anyway, has a buggy park room in the waiting room... not that anyone uses it though... much easier to drive your buggy directly AT the poor woman limping out on crutches.

4. I am intrigued by the notion that the word 'buggy' might be in any way offensive to anyone. Has it acquired a new meaning that only people 'on trend' are aware of?
    Or was the OP just checking that it was correct usage of the term?

5. I also didn't know it had a different meaning!!! Oh well I think it is a shame that you have to be so careful about what words you use sometimes due to having aquired a new meaning :s

6. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Buggy is fine with me.
    Reminds me of one time I was leaving a toddler group and another toddler ran out shouting "B*gger B*gger b*gger", very loudly. His mother very quickly and with a red face replied, "Yes there is your buggy."