1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the verb, 'to fart' too offensive for a primary school?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shalteir, Mar 27, 2011.

1. It would have crossed my mind, I wouldn't have used the word. I'd rather use the phrase, "passed wind", which has the humour of being an euphemism. Another point is that the easy cheap way to get laughs is to use such words plus poo etc. Why write at the cheap end of the market?

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I'm sorry, but I just wouldn't use this poem at all. Is this a topic we really want to discuss with the children? Sorry if I sound prudish - but that's just how I feel.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm afraid I also wouldn't have used this with children. If I had I would have replaced the 'suspect' word.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

When children come up to me and tell me that somebody has said "the F word", then nine times out of ten, the word in question is either "fat" or "fart", which suggests that they consider "fart" to be a rude word. That is Foundation and Key Stage 1 children. Older children wouldn't be so shocked by the work per se, but might be shocked to hear a teacher using the word in lesson.
    Personally, I wouldn't have even considered using the poem. Partly because I don't think it's really suitable for a classroom situation, and partly because I'd anticipate too much giggling and sniggering from the children.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with the poem in itself. But there's a difference between how we act and talk when we're "on duty", and how we behave at home. My 8 year old daughter has a pretty puerile sense of humour, thinks farting is hilarious, and I'd have no qualms about reading it with her at home. But I'd be unhappy if her teacher read it in class.

5. I adore the poem -and I think the children would love it too, however, I think you need to be careful because the last thing you want is the children writing fantastic poems with inappropriate content! If we're not sure what the boundary is, how would a child be expected to know what the boundary is?
    Not sure that I would want to completely scrap it, but changing the words could be possible.
    I can see why you would like to use it though!

6. I really surprised a the comments that people don't consider a poem about farting to be suitable. I have no problem with it and would be happy to read the poem out. We all do it after all, so I can't see how it isn't suitable. I read a lovely poem about bogies to my year 2s which they loved. I'm quite happy with giggling and sniggering. I know they are listening and it is on a subject they can all relate to! A bit of light relief is good I feel.
    Personally I use the term 'blown off', but don't object to farting.

7. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I wouldn't have used the poem either, purely because I don't think it's a very good poem. As for the 'fart' word, no, I wouldn't use it in front of children, but I don't tell children off when they use it in school, as in, "Can you open a window, Miss? Ryan's farted again..."

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrr As adults we do lots of things that aren't suitable for use in poems in primary classrooms.

I wouldn't use this poem. Yes the children would love it and I'd have no problem with them reading it together under a tree on a sunny day and sniggering. But I'd be unimpressed to hear a teacher reading it. Some things are best left in the playground.

9. No from me too.

10. manic28

manic28 New commenter

Kids love farts. The very idea of one is hilarious to them. If someone makes a farting sound, there is often wry smiles shared around the table.
    As a teacher, I have used the word 'trump' before to get a laugh out of them but not fart. Anyway, I think the official word should be trump because at least you can get onomatopoeia as a teaching point out of it.

11. In my last class we read the BFG by R.Dahl as our class book, and the whole class happily used 'whizzpopping'...

12. Minnie, I take your point, but to me it's just like burping or whatever. Why are bodily functions like these best left in the playground? I wish adults would discuss these things more with children, not consider them too vulgar for classrooms. We discuss all sorts of things in my classroom, including why you might fart/blow off more after eating certain foods etc. It's just an everyday thing to me and no big deal.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which is fine for you in your classroom. But for me in mine it wouldn't be fine.

I wish adults wouldn't talk about these things with children, and would teach children that there is a time and a place for every sort of conversation. And indeed that some topics are not acceptable in polite society.

And yes, before you ask, I am a middle aged (well in spirit if not in age) fuddy duddy who makes a big fuss about good manners and politeness as well.

14. I'm not middle aged but I still think these things are not for the classroom! Mind you, I like to keep a sense of decorum and have some manners in public.

15. Minnie, I actually make a big point about good manners and politeness and my children are very polite. My own children are also very polite and have good manners, but we are still happy to laugh hysterically at a loud blow off. It makes for an open minded classroom and family where harmless things aren't taboo. In fact my children want to know why they need to apologise and say 'pardon me' when they fart, when adults fart and just pretend they haven't!

16. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

I think that's fair enough in a science lesson, if you were discussing the digestive system. It's also the sort of thing you might chat about to your own children at home. But I don't think it's appropriate for general classroom conversation.
    I think that it's important for children to learn that language and behaviour needs to be modified in different situation and in different company. It just seems basic good manners and social awareness.

17. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

1. I wouldn't use a poem about farting - whichever word you choose to use - in a classroom. There needs to be a difference between, perhaps, the familiarity you ahve with children who you teach,and those who you parent. A teacher is a much more formal person in a child's life, and therefore, in my opinion, behave as such. I would not be happy, as a parent, if a teacher used a poem about farting. (I know I haven't expressed this very well - perhaps I mean 'authority figure'. Or 'someone parents and children - esp in primary school - have paricular expectations of. For instance, I dress very differently when I am teaching compared to when I am parenting.) (Is that clearer??)
    2. I wouldn't use a poem about farting in class because I don't want to have to deal with all the giggling. Someone mentioned the difference between a poetry lesson and a science one. I agree. I wouldn't choose this subject matter - and neither would I tell jokes about it to children as their teacher. It's not my role. Let them discover it for themselves and think they are being all rebellious.
    Let children be children and grown ups grown ups. Sorry if that sounds stuffy.

18. I like the word 'whizzpopping'!
    (I nearly wrote 'I like 'whizzpopping'' then and very quickly realised my mistake!! )
    I think it's important for children to learn socially acceptable behaviours and use good manners etc but school would be so boring without a bit of fun and humour once in a while!
    I don't think the OP would use something like this every day, but giggles and laughter can brighten up a classroom no end! Laugh a little - it's what children do best! [​IMG]

19. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And your learning objective was.....?
    Do tell, please.
    Or were you just trying to be the new Purple Ronnie and showcase your own poem?

20. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I think that is what I was trying to say very badly.

Yes children find all bodily functions funny, especially boys. But grown ups do not generally react with hysteria over such things, or not the ones I know.

There is plenty of humour in my classroom, but vulgarity is not encouraged.