1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the UK failing on FGM?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Nov 30, 2018.

1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

2. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Yes. It's an open secret. And still no prosecutions. Midwives see it all the time.

3. Photo51

Photo51 Established commenter

An unintended consequence of multiculturalism.

border_walker likes this.
  4. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Cases need to be prosecuted. Apparently the rates of females undergoing FGM are plummeting in Sudan, Ethiopia, South Sudan etc. The West needs to keep the pressure on. The fact is that better education is the key to ending these barbaric and backward practices (another one is child marriage in Lesotho and Swaziland). It's nothing whatsoever to do with multiculti, except that having Somalis etc in Britain has revealed the extent of the problem.

monicabilongame, chelsea2 and InkyP like this.
  5. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

'In Malaysia, FGC has become a widespread practice among the middle class, which considers it a religious obligation.Although the government has outlawed the practice, the National Fatwa Council declared it obligatory in 2009....Similarly, in Indonesia, where 85 percent to 100 percent of girls are believed to have undergone FGC or are at high risk of it, it is believed to be an Islamic requirement. In 2013, the Indonesian Ulama Council issued a statement that female circumcision is recommended, but not mandatory.

Major contemporary fatwas on FGM/FGC include one issued by Sunni Shaykh Yusuf al-Qaradawi, who leaves the choice to parents, although he personally supports it to protect girls' morality.'

From John Esposito and Natana DeLong Bas's recently published Shariah: What Everyone Needs to Know page 214.

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

What a depressing post, NMT! I read its use was declining in sub-Saharan Africa. I didn't expect it to be increasing elsewhere in the world! I'm off to bed now, completely crushed by man's inhumanity to woman, especially under the guise of religion.

7. NoseyMatronType

NoseyMatronType Star commenter

Me too.

Thought it was worth quoting to make others aware of how prevalent the practice is.

8. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

Yes. But look on the bright side - multiculturalism is thriving.

Photo51 likes this.
  9. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I don't see how 'multiculturalism', whatever you mean by that, is anything to do with it as it is happening world wide and would be happening somewhere if not here. In fact, I think girls are often being taken abroad to get this done. I have not heard of anyone whoever thought FGM was a good thing apart from the people doing it.

10. Photo51

It continues to happen here without convictions, is what it has to do with it.

11. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Frequently it happens abroad. As stated in post #9.

12. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

We must not offend that weird religion.
    Repeat, repeat,repeat.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Aren't all religions weird?;) (When thought about logically & rationally...o_O)

Duke of York, neddyfonk and nomad like this.
  14. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

The answer is yes, which makes it all the more bizarre that last week Britain pledged £50 million to deal with FGM in Africa, what is the point of that, if we don't even deal with it here!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46307572

P.S. what a stupid, stupid country, we have become.

Photo51 and newposter like this.
  15. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

This appears to me more a cultural than religious practice, given that it is done by people of all faiths in the countries / cultures affected.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  16. newposter

newposter Occasional commenter

It is Pythonesque isn’t it?

17. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I still don't see how ''multiculturalism' which means different things to different people has anything to do with it.

18. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

By the way, I agree that the UK is failing to prevent FGM being inflicted on girls here but short of physically examining girls from 6 years old upwards I don't have any practical suggestions.

vannie likes this.
  19. Photo51

Because is approves other cultures and gives then equal validity.

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

FGM has never been legal here. Nobody is giving it any validity.

JosieWhitehead likes this.