1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the times-tables check worth the money?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Nov 15, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Schools are in desperate need of more funding but the government still has the money to pursue its campaign to introduce even more assessments on over-stretched staff, under-resourced schools and pupils who are trapped in a results-driven education system:

‘The government’s times-tables check has been branded “an enormous waste of money” on the day the DfE released details of the assessment.

The check, which will be sat by Year 4 pupils, will prioritise the 6, 7, 8, 9 and 12 times tables, and give children six seconds to answer each question.

The online, on-screen assessment is voluntary this year before becoming statutory in 2019-20.

However, headteachers today warned that it would not tell teachers, parents or children anything they don’t already know.’

It would be interesting to get your thoughts on the government’s latest attempt to introduce another level of assessment on pupils – at an estimated cost of £5 million.

https://www.tes.com/news/times-tables-check-enormous-waste-money

2. Sir_Henry

Sir_Henry Occasional commenter

Words fail me.

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Well, they certainly don’t fail me, Sir Henry! But I too am filled with despair...

It’s such a colossal waste of time. Find me a KS2 teacher who can’t tell you which kids can’t or won’t learn their times-tables! I could tell you THIS minute which seven kids in my class have little hope of passing that test. In fact, I could have told you by the end of the first week, when some of them struggled to recall even their twos. Don’t get me wrong - I’m the person in school who bangs on about how important times-tables knowledge is, and I spend a lot of my time teaching them. But some of the kids I teach still can’t read either, despite doing a Phonics test in Year One.

All the money spent on designing, running and reporting on these pointless, pointless should have been ploughed into SEN education which has been so desperately underfunded for so long, and then some of these kids might have had a chance.

JohnJCazorla, becky70 and Marshall like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

It is bad enough when school managers have 'wheezes of the week' but when Government does the same......:confused::mad:

This sort of nonsense has gone on for decades. It is as if a someone sits there thinking, "What could we do that would immediately cure all our current problems?" or, "We never used to have these problems in the past, so what could we do now that we did then? Of course! I'll reintroduce chanting of times-tables around the class."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018