1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the tide turning against teaching to the test?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Sep 18, 2018.

1. scilady

scilady New commenter

Any half decent teacher knows what their students can do.

woollani likes this.
  2. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

As far as I can see schools and universities have, for centuries, taught to tests. My "O" and "A" level teachers who taught be tricks and mnemonics got me good grades.....university was the same! Any academic success I achieved was down to narrow, unblinkered teaching to the exams......I'm pleased they did and long may it continue!! It's one of the few things in British education that hasn't changed over many years.

3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

It's not just a matter of half decent teachers knowing what their students can do. The education authorities are also involved because this is where the money comes from. I've been a teacher all my working life and it wasn't a matter of me knowing what they could do but beyond my class, when they went into the workplace an employer needed proof that they were up to a certain standard in the way of an examination certificate - - and my opinion didn't come into the matter. It is like this for all teachers and others outside of the teaching profession I'm afraid.

4. dleaf12

dleaf12 Occasional commenter

Dilbert.jpg

5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

That is the point I am trying to make.

6. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Two aspects of this have surfaced recently via the HMC:
    The rise in unconditional UCAS offers, which HTs are complaining is affecting motivation and therefore achievement at A Level
    Some academic schools abandoning Common Entrance in order, they say, to discourage prep schools from teaching to the test and to encourage wider study; followed today by some prep school HTs making much the same complaint as the one about unconditional offers.

However I am reminded of a teacher saying how pleased he was that the GCSE in his subject was now quite easy - "I can teach the GCSE in half the time, and teach the subject in the other half!" This might translate as teaching to the test plus, if I can borrow Brexit terminology.