1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the supply situation really that dire?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by LucyEW88, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Hi there,
    I have just finished my History PGCE and unfortunately did not secure a job. For some time towards the end of the course and first few days of my summer I had decided to go into some admin but then had a change of heart and decided to stop being so defeatest and stick with teaching.
    So I've signed up to several supply agencies in my area. I know it varies from district to district etc but I am worried I will get very little work indeed. Have many people got stories of getting ample supply work? Or none at all for that matter?
    If anyone can tell me about supply in Cheshire/North West that would be brill as well.
    Thanks
    Lucy

2. bigpig

bigpig New commenter

My friend qualified in history 2 years ago now and has still not got a job in the NW teaching it. She did some supply for a bit but there wasn't much around and has gone on to other things. I suppose it depends on what you are willing to do and the cheshire area might have more.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not my area, so it might be better but I'd say supply is virtually dried up in my area. Definitely not a good income or a regular one!

4. No work in my area either.

5. Depends entirely on you, what work you will accept, the feedback they get on the work you do for them etc.
    I'm in primary and have built up a good reputation with my agency and schools over the past 5 years and I'm getting enough to live on but nothing more. Thankfully I got a tax return which will cover me for summer bills but supply is definately breadline work.

6. To paraphrase Dr Johnson, 'if it has dried up in London, it has dried up everywhere'. You can join every agency under the Sun but it nets you very little. Only six days for science and maths last year, in London.

7. janeygrey

janeygrey New commenter

IT depends on area, agency, hardwork, LUCK and the reputation you build up. Still working everyday here - even on the day of the strikes and when the year 6's all went off to secondary (surprised because i thought there would have been many year 6 teachers who could have covered, considering their class spent a day at their new school) I have 3 days booked next week also, so I am very very grateful. Definately give it a go and see what comes of it. Good luck xx

8. Pretty dire in NW. Cheshire might be better if you can drive and cover a big area.
    Cs's taking the general cover work has killed off secondary supply. Am in school at the mo after a long lay off.
    Thing is, with little general cover, the chance to show your face and get more work diminishes.
    When I had the long lay off this year, I knew I was going off the radar screen. Did one day a few weeks ago in a school (very rare) then back in now on a good run 4 week job. I will probably be told it will end next week But a good run based on one day in a school.
    Been doing a lot of general cover about the school on this trip. I go into lessons and see the work done by the CS's (not a pretty sight) So I always leave my name and the word supply on the cover feedback.
    A bit of propaganda for quality supply teaching. Maybe the classroom teacher will notice but I doubt it. Bit dissapointed as I always read in reception the booking in sheet to see which agencies are in school. Normally the low paying riff raff naff agencies.
    So I have to perform better than the CS's and the the odd other supply!
    Tough game, talk about performence management!

9. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I have found this last year the worst ever for supply work in the last 12 or so years I've doing it. It used to be a very good source of income, in recent years I found it very slow to start get going in September but fine once the initial start was over. This year its been slow, but steady, all year.
    Pay rates have also stopped increasing and in one case dropped slightly. I have been "saved" ,to some extent, by finding some direct supply work bypassing agencies. But on average I have managed about three days a week over the year which I know is better then a lot of people. Better rate then a CS role?
    I'm wondering if things might improve next year as schools are forced to cut their budgets and reduce the number of regular staff on their pay role. Which I know sounds a bit mercenary but it becoming "dog eat dog world" in the current climate.
    My advice is if you can pick up a "non" teaching job grab it at the moment. Thats my plan.

10. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

I am NW based and I have no work for the last 4 weeks at least, it as been a dire year for work, more then one agency have said that all schools want at the moment are CS. In fact I went to an open day at a school, which may have need for additional teachers for part-time contracts and was surprised at how many teachers turned up to discuss the potential for even a days work.
    I fear tha the role of supply teacher is having the nails hammerd into the coffin as we speak for most of us, due to the use of unqualified CS, who are giving the good and hardworking supply teachers a bad name. Because to be honest most teachers and kids, do not know if the supply is a qualified teacher or some unqualified person, I like to think that most supply teachers are more then professional then permanent teachers, in that we need to make a good impression every lesson on the kids and the SMT of the schools we attend, but when we struggle to pay our bills, we all reach a stage were we have to say enough is enough, I love teaching and care about the education of the children, but I cannot face the prospect of living in a cardboard box, on bread and water, because of the dishonesty of HT's and the politicians pretending they care about the education system and professional status of teachers.

11. emmadrg

emmadrg New commenter

This depresses me greatly. https://www.recruiteastriding.co.uk/jobdetails.asp?jobid=9879
    I'm going back on the supply game after a years contract in a school, who didn't take me on for a job in September. Using instructors is just another way of eroding the professional standards and qualifications that teachers have worked so hard for.

12. Another person in the north west over here. I qualified last year in a 'shortage' subject and for the past year on supply I've only had a total of 7 weeks supply. However, this was all pre-booked work because due to many personal/family problems I never really got around to doing morning calls that often (I did them for a few weeks and got nothing).
    I have just managed to secure a job but it is not in my city and is going to be between 1.5-2 hours commute each way. I know in my city at least, competition is fierce!

13. Like you I have had very little work and so have secured a start for September the contract is initially to December, with a view to longer but it will mean a 2 1/2 round trip each day but after the last few months and lack of work, I felt I didn't really have any choice![​IMG]

14. Using instructors is illegal when there are qualified teachers available.

15. I don't think anyone is looking or checking. Rules are written to look good on teaching websites.