1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the strike the talk of your staffroom?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by catmother, Nov 8, 2011.

1. catmother

catmother Star commenter

or is any mention of it likely to get you a "you made a bad smell" look?

2. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Other teachers (who do not do supply) keep going on about how they voted yes to strike but how they really don't want to and what will happen if they don't....cos they don't feel they can.....

3. GuessWho

GuessWho Occasional commenter

Of course the money lost in one days strike action will actually be less (in most cases) than the proposed monthly pension increase.
    Throw that into the mix for somebody says they "can't afford to strike"!

4. sbf

sbf New commenter

Yip cant afford not to strike.
    Anyone in a Union who doesn not strike with a mandate should leave the union.
    People want all the benifits, but are not willing to take the pain.

5. In our staffroom we spent most of lunchtime today discussing it. Peoples different opinions on striking, whether you should strike with your union even though you voted no, what to do if you're not in a striking union. Quite a clear idea of what it means to cross a picket line! Also lots of sympathy for supply teachers.

6. p4girl

p4girl New commenter

Has anyone managed to find figures for what we'd lose by taking a day's strike action, versus what we'll be asked to pay in extra pension contributions every month for the rest of our working lives? Staff in my school very unsure about all this, but everyone hating it!

7. Probably due to the fact that teaching is largely a female-dominated profession today, with lots of second salaries to ease the pain. A retired friend of mine was saying the other day that in the school holidays cafes and restaurants are full of middle class women having a 'kaffeeklatsch'.

8. Lots of talk about the strike in our staffroom and what is clear is that alot of teachers have no idea what a strike actually means. A couple of members of staff have asked if they still get paid during the strike and what was more worrying is the fact one is a Modern Studies teacher!

9. santamonica

santamonica New commenter

If teachers go sick on the day of the strike will they need a docs line to show this?
    If a teacher takes 'parental leave' on strike day because they don't have childcare will they be paid?
    A couple of scenarios teachers I know are considering so they don't lose a days pay!

10. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

self certification would cover up to 5 days with no need for docs line.
    A day's pay is a day's pay no matter how supply or perm. you are. I think this is done and dusted and no amount of industrial action will make any difference.........altho, with the English headies taking part maybe there's hope?

11. ryeland

ryeland New commenter

Vote now in the post....

12. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Received it today and it will be posted first thing tomorrow.

13. sbf

sbf New commenter

Your not allowed to self cert during a period of industrial action. For obvious reasons.
    At the end of the day if you are in a Union that has voted to strike then thats what you should do.
    I have no time for people who go against this at the same time as benifiting from what the union has to offer, if thats the case get out the union.
    If your not in a union then fair play to you.

14. Re: Self-cert.. what's the source of your information? I have been told the opposite.

15. Is that directed at me?

16. Oh this is good - let's attack the supply teacher now - typical TES smug teachers - polishing your BMW's are you?I do not think losing my house is a sorry excuse ya idiot - this is real life going on - idiot.

17. sbf

sbf New commenter

Sorry but i can see why you struggle to get a job if thats what you think if your peers. I probably comes across in your interviews.
    Teachers work at their best when united, in their department, in their faculties in the school and as a whole country. ,

18. Why are you attacking me personally? You got a problem?

19. No need for that - thought we were united here.

20. I have a job numbnuts...