1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the role of recruitment agencies becoming redundant?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by JamesFall, Mar 13, 2016.

1. JamesFall

JamesFall New commenter

Hi All,

I've published my first article addressing the current problem facing the UK; where teacher shortages are having an impact on the number of supply teachers that schools are being forced to recruit, via recruitment agencies. I would be interested to hear the TES communities thoughts about this issue, namely, these questions:

1) Do we feel recruitment agencies still provide a needed role for supply teachers?
    2) Can we operate without them and what are the alternatives currently available?
    3) Would you prefer to be self-employed rather than working through an agency?

Thanks
    James Fall

2. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

The problem is that the LEA withdrew this service for schools. Some LEAs linked with private agencies so those who were already registered with them kept their grade but any new ones were paid as per the agency but this was only in a few areas. The CRB is what caused the problem schools had to pay and keep them up to date in order to employ supples direct my LEA refused to do CRBs and schools at that time reluctant to do them either so driven to agencies.
    The agencies will always be needed but it should be made easier for schools to book supplies direct. They offer a very quick service first thing in the morning.

Yes I believe we could do a dual system as we did before LEA and agencies.

From what I understand, it may well have change so apologies, you could not do your own CRB it had to go through an employer hence agencies opened up everywhere and cleaned up with easy money via schools. Agencies have began to use umbrella agencies to save money... namely employers contributions which brought under the focus... Who is your employer should anything goes wrong.... As you are self employed and sub contracted out to an agency.... you pay a daily fee for the services of this umbrella agency which for employing then as an accountant and often out of pocket if you do not work full tome or on a decent daily rate. So what you save by, sometimes I have heard fabricating expenses with othe people's petrol receipts, you loose with paying a fee to the umbrella agency. You also need good advice about contributions for pensions as being self employed you should be paying for a self employed contribution. If not you could be falling short for a good stat pension.

I think legislate that the LEAs should register us and pay us as before... No problem then we all ran beside each other very well.

3. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

The problem with agencies is self explanatory as all they do is divert funds from schools. However, self employment, although the lesser of two evils, still means you can't pay into the teachers' pension scheme which is a massive consideration for longer serving teachers. There is a third way which is to retain supply teachers a public sector employees on a casual basis, as is the case in Northern Ireland. This guarantees payment to scale, continued pension top ups and public accountability.

4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Schools are not forced to employ supply teachers through an agency. They are free to employ them directly and it works out better for both parties. The school pays out less whilst the teacher gets paid more since there is no cut going towards the agency. Agencies are private companies out to make a profit.

I have worked directly with two schools in the past but both these schools went over to using agencies following a change of cover manager. In one case the cover manager admitted it was because it was easier to make one phone call to an agency rather then phone around a list of supply teachers.

Schools choose to use agencies because it saves them work and they are prepared to pay for this service.

5. PizzoCalabro

PizzoCalabro Established commenter

I make it even easier for my direct schools - they text me and I text them right back - yes or no. No hassle with phone calls. Is working well and they pay PAYE just like any normal employer.