1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the quality of student teachers slipping?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Aelfric, Mar 30, 2019.

1. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I think there are a couple of reasons, some quite counter-intuitive, that help explain why the quality of trainee teachers appears so low:

1. We have too many teachers - now that institutional education has been massively expanded, the relatively able are spread ever thinner, in worse conditions. Who would want to do such a difficult, unsecure and unrewarding job when the world has so much better?

2. Teachers have little freedom - for those who are genuinely able, but who do not care too much about money, teaching, as it used to be, could be very attractive if there were a high degree of freedom and a good lifestyle, combined with moderately decent/comfortable pay.

3. Teaching and learning in schools is as academic as a pineapple. There is real little academic learning in schools - as a private tutor, the approaches I take are very efficient and effective (e.g. using lots of translation when teaching languages) but they reflect more how I studied them at A-level/University rather than the years before, which now seem wasted in comparison. It's effective with all my students too.

4. Blame the 1970s! Until reforms in the seventies of the last century, teachers with a degree (from a real university; before the CNAA was created) were spared teacher-training and constant harassment by brain-dead SLT with third-class degrees in theatre history from some polytechnic and they had greater status. This endures somewhat unofficially, but, again, the most able just steer clear of "The Profession".

Until then, as we saw earlier this week, we are at the point of employing illiterates as teachers in some cases. Quelle horreur!

purplecarrot likes this.
  2. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Text book???? i cant remember the last time i saw a school with a class set of upto date textbooks also im more than willing to whiteboard everything but no student would ever be able to read it.

3. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

Supply and demand. Higher employment, lower real pay for teachers.... more leaving teaching or UK (like me).

Of course the "in my day" effect comes in. But in my subject, Physics, there are not enough Physics grads so you get odd sorts of conversion courses for Biologists etc who then proclaim themselves Physics teachers. Humbug. Some have no idea what electricity is and don't have a passion for Physics and can't inspire future Physicists and Engineers.