1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the media...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

...stirring up anxiousness about Corona virus?

I think so - normal 'flu is worse.

mothorchid, a1976, artboyusa and 6 others like this.
  2. loranp

loranp New commenter

3. ms honey

ms honey Occasional commenter

Just what I was saying, a colleague popped into boots to get some hand sanitizer ( works in early years, kids coughing/ sneezing on you constantly) and they'd run out!

zza-zza likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

That's the trouble with boots. It runs out the lace holes.

Lalad likes this.
  5. towncryer

towncryer Lead commenter

They seem to be and if so that's very wrong. On the other hand so many mixed messages and different actions from different governments. In my opinion the leaders of the world need to start singing from the same page over this,be up front about the situation and regulate the press in order to stop unnecessary panic,if that's what it takes.

peter12171 and Marshall like this.
  6. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Yes.

I've had a think about 'stocking up', today. What's the point? Stocking up for what, exactly? You can get online deliveries, even out in the sticks. There won't be any blockades.

Even the shops in China are open again, and people are going back to work.

Stripping supermarkets bare in Northern Italy... Why? I don't get it.
    Panic buying is silly. It will cause problems. Just say no.

7. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Absolutely - but that is what they're good at!

Don't get me started on man flu :rolleyes:

Marshall and towncryer like this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

The Chinese are the worst. All that closing off cities and building emergency hospitals makes people really anxious, especially those that live there.
    Italians are at it too.

towncryer likes this.
  9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Yep. And I wonder why?

10. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

It does seem to be reporting each outbreak or case as if it's a Hollywood disaster movie.

An approach necessitated by 24 hour rolling news... Ideally we'd go back to evening news and newspapers but the genie is out of the bottle.

12. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I hadn't realised we had our own 'in house' virologist.

gruoch and Scintillant like this.
  13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It would seem likely we probably have, since we have experts in economics, politics, law; and every subject under the sun including onansim, apart from how best to educate kids.

border_walker and smoothnewt like this.
  14. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

The mortality rate (how many died from all infections) of the flu virus last year was about 0.05%
    Spanish flu had a mortality rate of around 2.5%
    Corona virus seems to have a mortality rate of 2%-4%.
    It is much worse than seasonal flu and spreads almost as easily

Scintillant and smoothnewt like this.
  15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

I was interested to hear someone on R4 saying that no one under 7 years old had been reported as dying from Coronavirus. The mortality is almost all at the other end of the age spectrum.

16. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Indeed. Data from a few days ago showed this

80+ years old
    14.8%
    70-79 years old
    8.0%
    60-69 years old
    3.6%
    50-59 years old
    1.3%
    40-49 years old
    0.4%
    30-39 years old
    0.2%
    20-29 years old
    0.2%
    10-19 years old
    0.2%
    0-9 years old
    no fatalities

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  17. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

It has been reported that there are people with the virus in my county. Our local MP has posted saying that he has access to the appropriate information and this is absolutely not true. Just rumours.

18. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Bit harsh.

Marshall likes this.
  19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

It's much more fun if you just let people make their own facts up. We are blessed to have so many experts here from so many fields.

I've heard much worse from the epidemiologists and medical experts that have been interviewed, than I have from the general media.

20. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Given that the WHO is warning governments that they must take necessary precautions to prevent a pandemic, I think the media are right to raise public awareness to ensure that as many of us as possible adopt the necessary hygiene practices to limit the spread of the virus.

Comparisons with the flu are difficult, as the Covid19 virus is so new. What makes it so potentially worse than flu is that nobody has any immunity to it. At least with the flu there are vaccines, so those most at risk are offered some protection. Should this virus take hold within the general population, because it appears to be more highly contagious than the flu those most at risk would have no defence if the virus claims them. We don't hear of doctors treating flu victims in hospital actually succumbing to the flu themselves and dying of it, as has happened so far with Covid19. Current US estimates reckon that mortality from the flu virus in the US is at 0.05% of those affected, whereas based on deaths in China the mortality rate for Covid19 appears to be 2.3%.

In view of the WHO's fears and the continued unknown quantity that is Covid19, I feel that the media are right to be focusing so much attention on it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020