1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the high demand for tutors nationwide or just near london?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by tsarina, Jan 26, 2017.

1. skeptucator

skeptucator Occasional commenter

I'm in the north east tutoring science and get fully booked up right from September, every year since 2008.

I am a full time teacher as well though so I don't do many slots.

Amazingly, most of my students come from the local prestigious independent school. I worked with over 50% of their A-level Biology cohort one year. I think their preferences for staff with PhDs and research portfolios in their field rather than teaching qualifications leaves a lot to be desired.

Mrsmumbles and tsarina like this.
  2. hoalarg

hoalarg New commenter

I'm fully booked in the home counties in Herts with 18 students. I teach Primary kids. I was fortunate that an old client found me on First Tutors and I got recommendations to so many through her boy's private school. I have used TutorHunt and Teacher Pages too. The most successful has been First Tutors.

tsarina likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most of my students have been from Private schools - but not all.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Or...maybe if you coach for Common Entrance, you might be the one to make a huge difference in a child's life. One of mine just got a full bursary to a top school. They are overjoyed. He worked hard, I worked hard, we all got the desired result. And they have saved over 125 k in fees over seven years. Doing my bit to narrow the gap!

skeptucator and tsarina like this.
  5. Smithy84

Smithy84 New commenter

I put up one ad on gumtree and got 10 hours worth of tuition booked up within a week!

I will have to take it down now as I have no time. This is for science tuition (GCSE and A-level)

tsarina likes this.
  6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm also fully booked for the foreseeable future as well.

7. RuthTom

RuthTom Occasional commenter

I've found that tutor hunt and an advert in the local post offices is good enough. I work in the North West and would love to do this full-time (English) but am not sure how you get tutees during the day. I have never had a tutee from a private school! Most seem to be supplementing state education.

8. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

10 hours in a week seems very good. Am I right in assuming you travel to them? If the last few years are anything to go by I'll get as much as I want to handle, but students have to come to me, and from what I can tell a lot are too lazy to travel to a tutor, so it takes me a bit longer to fill my 20 to 25 hours. And when I say lazy, I'm not being harsh. I've known students who aren't prepared to walk 10 minutes!