1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the GTC on its deathbed or not?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by DaisysLot, Mar 9, 2011.

1. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

No decision will be made until next March at the earliest

2. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

My experience is, after the GTCE stopped taking the cashdirect from my pay packet without telling me, is that it takes them 18 months to get round to de registering, (by which time they will be defunct anyway). At this point they don't really do anything anyway as, (so long as you're performing at work) the Head is unlikely to sack you over such pettiness. If it did become an issue, then you just pay them the same amount you would have anyway.
    The only time it might be an issue is if you're looking for another job in the next 12 months.
    The body is useless, best thing the torries have done is getting rid, (almost worth the pay freeze!)
    I'm not going to pay and see what happens! ay give the govt a measure of the effectiveness of these clowns. I really resent paying for the cappcionos and lunches of these fools

Ian

3. Wish that I hadn't had the letter. That's half of my week's jobseeker's allowance gone and no chance of getting it back (at least those of you who are employed get £33 put back into your pay packets, which covers the vast majority of the fee) [​IMG]

4. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

That is a joke, really feel for you sad, they are absolute bandits. How can they say they're there to uphold standards in the profession when unqualified teachers can stand in front of classes as supply, taking legitimate supply away from teachers. They are taking the urine.

5. When I was elected to the GTCE in 2008 I was obviously voted in by teachers who agreed with me that the GTC hadn't been supportive enough of classroom teachers over the issue of disruptive pupils. I cited the case of the woman who made that TV documentary using hidden cameras being suspended by the GTC. As an elected Council member I found many who agreed with my views. It was the salaried functionaries who were unsympathetic. I and others had begun to steer the GTC in a more common sense direction when Gove pulled the plug. Pity, as now you are the mercy of individual heads and Gove himself on the question of competency. I've resigned as there is no point my being there now, but those of us who were elected were hardly overpaid, latte-swilling bandits!

6. ianj6

ianj6 New commenter

Ttrust,
    The overwhelming majority of teachers don't/didn't vote for the GTCE as the body has/had nothing to do with what happens in our classrooms. We've always been at the mercy of Heads and always will be, and the same for governments, except most of us have a lot more interest in the government.
    The GTCE isn't and never has been supportive of teachers in any real way. The only things the GTCE do or did are send us a magazine noone ever reads, ask us for £36 for doing nothing and hold hearings about people who's lives are already pretty rubbish, and wouldn't get another teaching job anyway due to safer recruitment and CRB.
    It has no purpose and never had a purpose,
    I don't know what sort of beverage you consumed in the cafes whilst you were in post, that bit was a guess! (I apologies ifit was tea or a chilled mineral water)

Ian