1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the grass really greener? Come on, be honest!

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by TheGentleman, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Jon_Gretzky

Jon_Gretzky New commenter

You must be extremely lucky,
    because I have experienced every single one of the drawbacks you listed in teaching.
    Funny thing, though, that I deliberately changed careers into education to get away from them. Little did I know... !

With one thing I agree:
    From the moment I have started to deliver lessons, I didn't feel at work, but on the run and desperately seeking shelter,
    because -at least where neoliberalism rants- you are the easiest target and the first (and often only) one to get punished for other people's stupidity.

My way out was jumping over the fence and get in to education management.
    At least I can do right now, what I have seen done so horribly wrong all those years before.

Jens

2. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

So somebody just liked my posts and it made me laugh because it turns out all the problems of teaching reared their heads in that rubbish job (useless manager, stupid policies, rubbish pay with no chance of progression). I’m back teaching now and. It’s going really well - and I get paid really well for what I do. Moral of the story: try and different school before giving up teaching.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. Claire121

Claire121 New commenter

I left 4 years ago after 12 years in teaching (workload of a RI school combined with a bullying head were my reasons). I then did some supply and eventually found a full time role in SEN support. I did this for 3 years, but then started to have yearnings to go back to teaching. I have been in a full time role since June and I am already seriously thinking about leaving full time teaching for the second time. The grass may not always be greener on the other side, however the stress is less and the weekends are your own. I feel like I'm learning a tough lesson, but I wont wait another 12 years to jump this time!!!