1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the extra teacher induction year a good idea?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 22, 2018.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

‘The Department for Education has denied that its extra induction year for new teachers, set to be introduced in 2020, will be an extra year of “scrutiny”.

Speaking at the annual conference of the National Association of School-Based Teacher Trainers (NASBTT) this week, DfE deputy director Gareth Conyard said the extra year, as part of the new Early Careers Framework (ECF), made the training period for teachers consistent with that of other professions including architecture, law and accountancy.’

Are you convinced about the reasoning behind extending the training period for teachers? Will this put people off joining the profession? Would a longer induction period have put you off teaching?

https://www.tes.com/news/dfe-denies-extra-teacher-induction-year-means-more-scrutiny

2. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

You'll lose more new teachers. Some hate their nqt year and stick it out just so that if they ever change their mind they have the qualification. Some of those, by the time they get to the end of nqt year, have decided to give it a go. Sticking out two years just in case is a far different proposition from just one and more will give up before giving it a real chance.

And it wont help anyway. What's wrong with teaching has beggar all to do with the induction period.

3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I really wouldn't become a teacher (except maybe in an independent school) if starting out again now...

Jamvic and Shedman like this.
  4. Neverknowinglyundersold

Neverknowinglyundersold New commenter

My daughter wants to become a teacher, but the two year net period is really putting her off.

lardylegs and patternandsurface like this.
  5. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

Lol! And there is a teacher recruitment problem! Well that problem will continue to grow.

6. baxterbasics

baxterbasics Senior commenter

They don't know what the real problem is, and in trying to address the problem, they always manage to create even greater problems.

Another year to "build up resilience" for a s*itty wage and somebody to tell you at every opportunity how you are doing it wrong?

No thanks - I'd rather be a trainee graduate manager at Aldi, starting salary £40k.

lardylegs, tonymars, Jamvic and 3 others like this.
  7. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Aldi YAY!!! They save me over £3000 a year compared to shopping at the big supermarkets and the quality is just as good.

lardylegs likes this.
  8. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

yes, good idea, if you are an accountant and this means you can keep a cheap teacher on roll for an extra year before paying them a proper wage.

lala24, Jamvic, dunnocks and 3 others like this.
  9. drek

drek Lead commenter

Yet another ill thought out policy. Some trainees are travelling ridiculous miles just to finish off their year in a ‘training’ school before applying nearer home. They are exhausted with the travelling, the extra meetings after school, the late nights, then travelling back to do it all over again before being released from their contract? Possibly told they’ve failed and have to start anew or even a new career?
    Not a good idea but obviously it must benefit a group with a vested interest in this scheme and who no doubt provided the well funded ‘researched anaylsis’ to support this policy........

lardylegs, Jamvic and JohnJCazorla like this.
  10. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

Bad idea.
    Have a look at the New Teacher thread and you’ll see a staggering number of schools that don’t understand their induction responsibilities.
    Two years of ridiculous targets and inappropriate scrutiny won’t help retention.

Unfortunately, there’ll be a certain type who will love every minute of their extra power.

11. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

One year should be long enough. In some cases I think there should be an option to extend a bit longer. For example I have completed two terms of my induction, during which I made good progress to passing. Since then I have tried to complete in two different schools, both of which did not offer effective support - I have yet to complete my third term. Completing now will be difficult as I will effectively have to do all of it in one term; being able to do a two-term induction would ease the load a lot.

12. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

what a rubbish idea.

3 years degree, PGCE, + 2 years induction?

6 years to become a teacher?

seriously?

13. patternandsurface

patternandsurface Occasional commenter

Mr Conyard is an idiot and clearly hasn't thought of speaking to present NQTs and teachers who have recently been through the NQT induction process. It can be lovely, but it can also be a form of hell on earth where bullying is rife and teachers are treated like cannon fodder.

'The ECF is set to be piloted in the North East next year with a view to being rolled out across the country in 2020.'
    I should warn anyone considering teaching about this. I never actually believed the DfE would be so stupid (or selfish). Also, I wonder what this then means for those of us with a partially complete induction, ie 1-2 terms already?

I have heard from another teacher that you could request to have the final term of your induction to take place a few weeks or months after starting? Is this true I wonder?

tonymars likes this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

Its a bit rich after a trainee teacher may have paid 36000 pounds just to get to that point :eek:

15. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

I’m sure there must be a special ‘daft ideas’ team employed at the DfE.

16. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

I think it’s because they are bringing in these apprentice teachers, who don’t know what they’re doing and who need lots of trainin* because of this, plus the6btraining up loads of new PGCE assessors, many bof whom seem poorly qualified and of average experience themselves. Not all, but the new lot coming through. It’s the cheap leading the blind. No wonder rhey need more time. Then Team Toxic Tory can sell it to the public as a quality bespoke training scheme managed by professionals which creates golden emblems of pedagogy when in truth you’ll be getting cheap n cheerless.

17. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

It’s called the DFE!

18. Jamvic

Jamvic Senior commenter

:D

19. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

Anything that helps to keep the wages bill down is fine by me.
    upload_2018-10-25_8-42-31.jpeg

Summerhols6 and tonymars like this.
  20. maggie m

maggie m Occasional commenter

Back in the early 2000's I worked in a school that did a 2nd year of induction. I got signed off at the end of my nqt year but me and all 2nd year teachers continued to get a reduced timetable, I think it was a couple of extra non contact periods.We also had decent cpd and were encouraged to watch experienced teachers both at the school and at a couple of other local secondaries I found it a good exprience but I doubt the DFE has anything so supportive in mind.