1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the Bible out of date?

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by BuryFCA1, Jul 8, 2012.

1. BuryFCA1

BuryFCA1 New commenter

Doing this evaluation question this week in a lesson when ofsted are in. Anyone got any great starter ideas?

2. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

If you have access to Bibles for individuals or pairs, I would create a quiz or crossword. Questions have text references - which practise their skills in using the Bible.

Link to issues which are important in our world today and follow it with items from the news today which are related to the same things.

It's a bit 'low tech' and needs a fairly good familiarity with suitable texts. You say 'this week' any idea of which day?

I am sure there are other good 'ways in' but I know that this one works.

3. I'd look at music that shows how modern Christians respond to the Bible, eg rappers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhsmDzCO22Y

4. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Not sure if this is what you are after and possibly too late by the time you read this.
    Is the Bibile out of date? Is it the message that's out of date or the presentation? How would it be presented today: text, Blog PPt, video, rapping. LOADS of good You tube raps.

Good luck.

5. It is out of date drivel and pure fiction.

6. McCahey

McCahey New commenter

Actually it's not. Perhaps you need to check your facts. It's a combination of creation myth upheld by 2 major world faiths and history based on documented events and oral recall. Furthermore, it contains some beautiful poetry. So Samantha, if you are going to insult millions of people, at least do it accurately!

God Bless
    Shalom my friend.

7. Helena Handbasket

Helena Handbasket New commenter

I wouldn't say that allegorical guidance is out of date nor pure fiction. The fact that it is based on deep rooted cultural ideas and advice about morals, hygiene, respect etc means that it isn't pure fiction. Now of course you can always argue about the purpose of writing religious texts and some would suggest the theist elements are interwoven purely to introduce fear and control. But so what? So what if people believe in them and so what if they don't? They exist, they form the basis of the majority of societies in this world and offer a simple way of understanding morally acceptable behaviour. In that way they will always be relevent.
    Examining sacred texts as a product of the context in which they were written also has great importance in the understanding of the roles of society and the lives of historical people. Whilst also allowing us to assess our own society to ensure we develop and evolve correctly.

8. Pure drivel. I pity those who actually live by the contents of books written by the delusional.
    God bless? No thanks. God is a manmade construct.
    I pity that you have bought into this garbage.
    Evolution and quantum physics > God garbage

9. Samantha
    You are a cold, G-dless person.
    I pity you and will pray for you.
    S Stein

10. Never mind the God delusion, there's nothing more delusional than someone talking to themself