1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is the BBC changing its tune?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by T34, Nov 7, 2018.

1. T34

T34 Lead commenter

I've just heard the previous "hard border" for NI referred to instead as an "old fashioned border" - a much less critical term.
    Shortly afterwards a labour politician who wanted parliament to reject Theresa May's deal when it is put before parliament was berated by (I think) Nick Robinson, who pointed out that this is a time for the country to be put first, not party politics. Another first.

They have seen which way the wind is blowing and decided they want to keep their jobs, perhaps?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Nic Robinson interviewing Sir Keir Starmer.

I think you are reading too much into it. I heard it as a 'playing devil's advocate' question designed to get a response from Starmer on the issue of the duty of the opposition. Not that it was the view of the BBC or of Robinson. I wouldn't describe it as 'berated' by any stretch of the imagination, a typical political interview question.

3. T34

T34 Lead commenter

Mmm..the BBC chooses its words carefully.
    But a question not previously asked by the BBC, although they have had numerous opportunities. Having a disunited nation must have weakened May's negotiation position.

4. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

It could be the beginning of a campaign to rebrand the idea to make it less unpalatable to the population. The Irish, north and south of the border, know what it will mean but if the rest of the population can be persuaded that it's not a hard border but an 'old-fashioned' one, that chimes in with the notion of traditional values and glories and so can be dressed up as 'what the people voted for'.

It's the BBC manipulating public opinion. Again. It's a state broadcaster, not a public service.

T34 and schoolsout4summer like this.
  5. Burndenpark

Burndenpark Star commenter

It could be, but...

Wouldn't that mean that we were getting the same sort of "old fashioned border" that went along with the old fashioned sectarian violence?

I'm not sure it really sounds any better if put like that.

6. sadscientist

sadscientist Senior commenter

I don't think "the BBC" is one entity in terms of its news and current affairs. It's impossible to present it without some degree of context and editorial input, but the flagship News bulletins, Newsnight and R4 Today (for instance) vary according the the editor of the day. BBC Online is OK for following breaking stories, but otherwise is just fast food for people who aren't particularly interested in current affairs anyway.

7. sparkleghirl

Of course not, the reality remains as bleak.
    It's how you sell it and the idea of old-fashioned british values will, for many leave voters, outweigh by a long shot the risk of a return to sectarian violence which they probably see as not affecting them - hence my comment about the irish knowing what the implcations of such a border are.

8. Burndenpark

And above a certain age: Brummies, Mancunians Londoners, people from Deal (Dealights?) ...

9. sparkleghirl

Oh, I know, believe me. A hard border is a catastrophic idea. So they need to put a 'positive' spin on it, and to most leave voters, old-fashioned values will make it sound more positive or at least less negative.

I don't think it's right at all, but I think that's the cynical reason behind the use of the term.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

GB only became aware of NI in 1968. After Bloody Sunday it dawned on GB that things were more complicated than uppity colonials needing a whiff of grapeshot. It was at this point that GB became aware of the border and put armed checkpoints and intelligence gathering stations up. This is the hard border that some seem to refer to: the old-fashioned border wasn't like this.

T34 and Burndenpark like this.
  11. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The troubles in NI pre-date 1968. The old-fashioned border was run at a time 1956-61 of a previous IRA insurgency with much less armament. 1972 in Derry changed things.

12. Burndenpark

Maybe without the watch towers and guns, but there must have been checks and controls on what and who went through?

Certainly if NI leaves the customs union I would think there has to be- otherwise what will stop the swarms of migrants going to Eire then popping over to the boarder to get the free council houses, benefits and NHS operations they all come to the UK for*?

*Using Brexiteer speak

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The Irish won't be too worried, either, about violence. There were a couple of bad incidents but generally they escaped much as GB did. The Northern Irish will see things differently.

sparkleghirl and Burndenpark like this.
  14. Burndenpark

Don't forget they will be very worried about the economic fallout.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What went through. People weren't dragged from cars unless they were suspected of smuggling contraband. Generally, smuggled contraband for personal use wasn't a problem.

16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The RoI isn't in Schengen and there will be freedom of movement for British Isles citizens as far as I know.

17. T34

T34 Lead commenter

If I have to do a Nostradamus, which I don't - but I will...I predict too a change in attitude towards Trump.
    The jokes will become "nicer", less insulting, even almost affectionate. He will be referred to at least sometimes, as "the president" rather than "Donald Trump" (with a sneer).
    His good performance in the recent elections and the prospect of a second term may have something to do with this.

And the term "populist" will lose its derogatory connotation.

lexus300 and sparkleghirl like this.
  18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

'Men (or women) from Kent' is the term for those born in east Kent (not me, BTW, I'm a 'Kentish Man';))

19. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Donald has done quite well considering.

20. sparkleghirl

And they'll talk warmly about Bolsonaro, maybe even Duterte and Salvini, and whoever the next ones are. Because there will be more, unless we can turn the tide.