1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Thailand a Dangerous Place to Work Now

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by davidjones123, Jan 23, 2020.

1. davidjones123

davidjones123 New commenter

Hi all,

I was just wondering if you think the above is true. I once wanted to work in Thailand but have been put of by some of the reports I've heard recently about the people becoming more violent, less tolerant of others and lots of crime. Not to mention the pollution and a host of other things.

Maybe I am being naive and those that work there know better but it would be interesting to hear from people that have worked there for a long time. It doesn't strike me as appealing as it use to be.

Any thoughts?

2. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

What reports? And where did you see them? I am somewhat incredulous? Yes, the change of monarch and the success of the right wing government in cementing its hold on power could be seen by some of the more nervous expats as an issue but I am not sure its has led to the kind of problems you mention.

3. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

No, I don't think it's true. Been here four years. I feel safer here than the UK, except when I'm on my motorbike trying to do a u-turn. I've been coming here for 25 years. Its changed for sure, but I don't feel less safe.

4. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

Thailand is still as safe as it has always been. Saw no problems there during our time and always felt safe. The pollution on the other hand is a whole different problem and would stop me from returning, particularly with young children

5. Bsmart19

Bsmart19 New commenter

The air is bad. November to February. It’s hot March-April and wet the rest of the year.

As long as you watch for dodgy taxi drivers, bad drivers generally and don’t do stupid things it’s very safe. (And have a working phone at all times so you can spot dodgy taxi drivers by checking google maps... !) As a woman I always say I feel just as safe, if not more, than in UK.

However it’s tine to leave because I don’t want to breath on fumes all the time!

6. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Very surprising to hear this. It's very safe here. I don't even need to lock my bicycle. The roads are dangerous for sure but that's about it. Oh, and you might get food poisoning from time to time. The only time I don't feel super safe is night time in Nana.

7. ToK-tastic

ToK-tastic New commenter

BKK is far safer than London in most respects, certainly in terms of people and violence, maybe less so in terms of infrastructure. In BKK each soi is like a little village, there are people who spend nearly all day everyday in their soi, they see everything that happens in the soi etc etc. I live in a very notorious downtown area, on a soi with hordes of tourists arriving & leaving everyday. However, beneath all that turmoil there is a very stable, and observant, community. They all know each other, they also know the long-stay westerners, such as me. They know when I leave for work every morning, when I will return each evening, they know where I work, they know what I do, they probably even know how much I earn. Our housekeeper lady & maintenance guy both have keys for our house, they manage our deliveries, and cleaning etc. So, everyone in our village knows what we eat, they know what we buy, etc etc. None of this is intrusive, nor prying, It's just being part of the soi-community. This means that people look out for me, and me for them. It makes it an incredibly safe place. Each soi is the same in BKK, it means the level of street crime is very low as there are always people watching.., The problems that are highlighted in the media usually happen in big tourist areas (e.g. Walking Street Pattaya etc) - this is not Thailand for me.
    Before moving to Bangkok I lived in rural Thailand for a year. The only dangers in our village were that you might forget what day, week or month it was. You might forget that some places have cold, dark, wet winters. You might forget that not everyone has 3 hours to prepare a beautiful Thai dinner to be eaten at sunset under the coconut palms.
    Is Thailand dangerous ? Well, it all depends upon what you define as danger my friend.

bonxie and Figmo like this.
  8. nemo.

nemo. Occasional commenter

The air quality gives you Bangkok flu, but as for safety, assuming you don't deface a picture of the king, slap a monk on the head with your feet or get drunk in girlie bars starting fights..... it is safer for foreigners than western cities.

Foreigners getting beaten up or killed usually are responsible via stupid behaviour as they "are abroad"

Helen-Back and ToK-tastic like this.
  9. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Here are my thoughts.

I've lived in the region in question for 12 years, working at 3 different schools. Have also travelled widely to almost ever country in East and South East Asia. I also lived in two countries in the Middle East beforehand.

The country I've been threatened in the most and think has the worse anti-social behaviour and crime is . . . the UK. I am not even kidding.

People really do need to get out more.

alex_teccy and dumbbells66 like this.
  10. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Occasional commenter

It's generally safe, although down towards the Malaysia border, they have a massive but largely unreported terrorist problem. The country suffers from terrible pollution in some places at some times of the year so do your homework. It has become quite expensive in recent years, as the Baht has surged in strength, to the point where expats have started to drift to Vietnam etc in increasing numbers. Road safety is poor and deaths high, it's a police state still with widescale corruption. Thais are nice mostly but there has been a certain hardening of attitudes and arrogance towards foreigners in recent years, another reason for expats moving to other countries. Still nice to visit in short bursts though. I certainly wouldn't want to live and work there again.

11. Helen-Back

Helen-Back Occasional commenter

"It has become quite expensive in recent years, as the Baht has surged in strength, to the point where expats have started to drift to Vietnam etc in increasing numbers."

That only makes it more expensive for those who earned their money outside Thailand. For those earning Thai baht the opportunity to save has increased.