1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is TEFL Worth it for me?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by DocP, Dec 6, 2011.

1. I would really appreciate some advice on this. I am currently a full time teacher and i am employed in a sixth form college in the UK. I currently teach ICT A level. i have been employed full time for 13 years and worked in secondary schools teaching 11-16. I qualified following a PGCE, PhD and degree in electronics, i have also worked in an international school overseas. I am fed up. Problem is, english is my first and only language
    So, i have decided to work overseas again, preferably in spain, however rather than limiting myself to international schools (which limits the location where i could be based), i want to have the opportunity to work in different geographic locations, teaching english as a foreign language. The question is, would a TEFL qualification improve my chances? or indeed would a more expensive CELTA qualification?
    I have done some research into TEFL quals and looked at the online variants, but there are several diferent courses to choose from. So,
    • Will a TEFL of CELTA help me gain employment in spain, or indeed any other country?
    • Is it worth it on top of my current quals / experience?
    • If so, which type of TEFL (or CELTA) course would be best?
    I realise i could look on the respective websites (TEFL, CELTA) however i would prefer a more balanced, inependent view.
    thanks

2. I would really appreciate some advice on this. I am currently a full time teacher and i am employed in a sixth form college in the UK. I currently teach ICT A level. i have been employed full time for 13 years and worked in secondary schools teaching 11-16. I qualified following a PGCE, PhD and degree in electronics, i have also worked in an international school overseas. I am fed up. Problem is, english is my first and only language
    So, i have decided to work overseas again, preferably in spain, however rather than limiting myself to international schools (which limits the location where i could be based), i want to have the opportunity to work in different geographic locations, teaching english as a foreign language. The question is, would a TEFL qualification improve my chances? or indeed would a more expensive CELTA qualification?
    I have done some research into TEFL quals and looked at the online variants, but there are several diferent courses to choose from. So,
    • Will a TEFL of CELTA help me gain employment in spain, or indeed any other country?
    • Is it worth it on top of my current quals / experience?
    • If so, which type of TEFL (or CELTA) course would be best?
    I realise i could look on the respective websites (TEFL, CELTA) however i would prefer a more balanced, inependent view.
    thanks

3. I have entered teaching the other way round (TEFL then PGCE) but I hope my advice can still be useful for you.
    First of all, the qualifications.
    The CELTA (Cambridge Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults) is the most widely recognised next to the equivalent TEFL course offered by Trinity. As a rule, those are the only two "portable" qualifications - lots of companies offer their own in-house training, but other language schools might not rate them much. If I remember correctly, it is possible to complete the Trinity course largely online, with some weekend training bits, but it may take longer. Intensive (full time) courses take about 4 weeks and it is often cheaper to do these abroad at accredited schools (a friend of mine did his in Hungary).
    Which you chose to do is up to you, but from my experience, there is not much in it. Having said that, the majority of teachers I met and have worked with completed the Cambridge Certificate but that may just be due to the fact it is more easily accessible.
    If you decide to get qualified in English Language Teaching, those are the only two worth getting.
    The next question is whether or not you need to. Seeing as you are interested in going to Spain, I would suggest doing a little research on what language schools ask for in Spain, as different countries will have different trends. For example, Germany can be a tough place to find a job without qualifications and experience, whereas Russian companies will happily take native speakers and simply pay accordingly. With your classroom experience, some places may be happy to take you on without. However, places which put themselves under some kind of external scrutiny may not accept you, or will do so but with reduced benefits as someone not technically qualified as a language teacher.

Put out a call in the forums, perhaps, for people living and working in Spain and see what they have to say?
    Not sure how helpful that is, but hope it gives you something to chew on.

4. many thanks to your detailed reply, as you say, research is the key thing!
    Much appreciated[​IMG]

5. THanks for your reply - that sounds promising, a CELTA online, i will have to check that out. Much appreciated

6. It's also worth bearing in mind that, outside the EU, a TEFL/CELTA is required for a work visa, such as some places in Latin America and Asia.