1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is Teaching Still a Profession?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by wariric64, Feb 23, 2012.

1. The online Oxford Dictionary defines the word 'profession' in this way...
    1 his chosen profession of teaching
    [/i]
    The prolonged training I remember and I did get a piece of paper saying that I passed something called a P.G.C.E which, if combined with being M6 on the pay scale, makes you an inconvenienceand unemployable. I do not have the required qualifications for being a cover supervisor at my local school (G.C.S.E.Maths and English) as my two English O-levels, two Maths O-levels and Maths A-level do not seem to count. Perhaps they think that if I have O-levels I talk like Geoffrey Chaucer or can understand Beowulf without a translation I am that old.
    Personally I don't think teaching can be considered a profession any longer as its qualification is meaningless as the unions and professional bodies have not protected the P.G.C.E. and B. Ed.

2. I posted a similar thread a few weeks ago in reference to whether a PGCE/B.Ed was worth it anymore. It seems many agreed in that the plethora of CSs (...and by golly I am being EXTREMELY polite when I say that!!) that have invaded the profession and the extreme budget restraints have made teaching a no-starter for many.
    Like you, I trained thinking I would be part of a noble profession, but during those misty eyed moments came the realisation that the art of teaching is no longer needed, just cheap bods to keep the kids amused and/or occupied.
    In the heady days when teaching prospects were good and when we had a choice of supplying (which clearly isnt the case now), lots of people chose the profession after spending many years in industry. Teaching jobs were plentiful, supply was bountiful and things looked good. Yes, its a truism that cyclical changes in economic fortunes means that a sector cannot always have it good all the time. But for Billy Bunter's sake, this is teaching we are talking about and along with all key workers, without teachers, our society would be a mess. By default, teaching has become a victim along with other public sector workers because the Govt's cack handed approach to fiscal management.
    I do hope things change for the better because there is a lot to love about being a teacher.
    PGCE, a worthwhile certification - sorry not anymore!

3. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

I thought that the purpose for the creation of the GTC was to bring Teaching up to the standards of the professions by introducing professional standards, a register and a professional governing body.
    But what did they do? Removed the need for professional qualifications to work in many schools teaching.
    Is it still a profession? Not in my view its a job, better then some not as good as others.
    Is it still a vocation? I would hope so, but with the ever growing "target meeting" and "blame culture" ethos thats creeping in one wonders if that will remain so.

4. One of the attractions of any 'profession', is the opportunity to take on well paid 'locum work', if for some reason you find yourself with the need to do something, for example a childcare issue or as in my case look after a geriatric parent (now deceased).
    As the 'locum' aspect of teaching can be done by unqualified (teacherwise) now, the locum aspect of the qualification is simply depleted.
    However the contract teachers with perm jobs are not bothered. However, I am surprised when talking to them, they think supply teaching is still some sort of an option.

5. I can't think of another 'profession' where the professionals are not allowed use their expertise and professional judgment and are expected to put up with abuse from students and SMT alike - so maybe no, teaching is not a profession any more.

6. It's a watered-down profession and we are semi-professionals. When I say to folks I meet, I am a teacher, they say "How do you do it?" or "You poor thing - how do you cope with today's kids?".
    A doctor or solicitor would not meet with that kind of response!
    It's not just the advent of cover supervisors which is at issue here, but teachers have been knocked and shot at like a fairground tin can by the media, parents, society and fellow teachers. We deride ourselves.
    And society has changed. Teachers have become scape-goats for all sorts (and society's maladies) and today's parents are sometimes worse than their terrible offspring! Who can do NO wrong. The fabric of society has changed..
    I think that everyone is always guarding their back too. Gone are the days when teachers could be themselves and depts. were always teams where everyone stuck together. In many schools; it is each to their own and the Best get on...although they are not always the best, but play the Game best.
    The customer is King. The customer is the pupil. And most kids know and play that card! We are there to deliver the goods and get the grades - and fudge it if needs be! Teaching machines.
    Like a ballerina on her toes.
    We are professionals of diminished status.
    Powerless animals who jump through a new set of circus hoops when the show goes to a new town and the latest "in thing" is introduced.
    Yes, we do and can make difference, but the work burden saps many of this Light, this pride and has been the ruination of many a good human being. But still we go on..dedicated professionals pursuing a vocation..

7. ..Boy, I wish had the turn of phrase that you clearly possess Ostpreussen.
    ...Agreed that the status of teaching has become diminished of late and this is in part due to the ludricrous amount of hoops we have to jump through. SMT dont ever seem to understand what its like at the coalface and nor do our so called caring govt.
    ...No, I am afraid the situation has become dire and even from me, an ardent educationalist , I have to say I really dont think it will improve anytime soon.
    ...The OPs question of teaching still being a profession is akin to saying that estate agents never lie...Hmmm....!!