1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is teaching some subjects more stressful than others?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wiemaranerlover, Jan 31, 2012.

1. ricjamclick

ricjamclick New commenter

In my experience the relative strengths and requirements of the individual and the department, and - crucially - context of freedom, are far more indicative of how stressful things will be than the artifice of subject. Context of freedom would be highly influenced by individual circumstance and conscientiousness to my mind.

2. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

It's when you notice, when you are getting them to write about where they live in French, that they can't even spell English place names correctly (not to mention starting them with a capital letter) that you realise you are on a hiding to nothing.
    [​IMG]

3. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Having done a Year 11 (boys) RE cover on Weds last period - I support this view!

4. RS once a fortnight must be testing!
    As somebody history trained, covering RE in a Catholic school has been an eye opener. A couple of observations:
    • Kids value Geography and History more than RE.
    • You see your classes more - pupils have 6 x RE per fortnight yet have only 3 x Hist/Geog per fortnight. However you have less classes than a Hist/Geog teacher
    • Therefore you have more planning and more work per se to mark than you would in Hist/Geog which has more classes and therefore more books to mark but less planning in terms of being able to repeat lessons.
    • Generally, those who choose Hist/Geog either want to do it or capable of doing so. Those who do RE are often uncapable of doing and/or do not want to do it.
    This has definitley made me appreciate the difference between core and optional subjects!

5. impis

impis New commenter

I teach quite a few subjects, all to exam level.

ICT
    Animal Care
    Care of farm animals
    Horticulture
    Geography
    Employability skills
    Digital literacy

These are administered by 5 different exam boards, each with their own preferences regarding assessment, marking, verification, moderating etc. Plus, in all cases, I'm the only one teaching these subjects. [We're a very small school]

Some days I don't know my a*** from my elbow!

6. impis

impis New commenter

Sorry, it appears that paragraphs don't work on Chrome!!