1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is teaching some subjects more stressful than others?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wiemaranerlover, Jan 31, 2012.

1. It happens all over the world. As the only English teacher not on LSL I scored the position of acting HOD for term 1, so I have two incoming short term placement teachers, (a grad and a Primary trained teacher), I have three years 7 teachers and a grad LOTE teacher under my wing and a wonderful hand over folder. I follow the instructions for the start of our school year from the HOD on LSL and am told by the Principal I cant do this and that, Im managing when he says pretty much the same thing yours did to you. Whilst I like the term Rumplestiltskin from the other contributor I have to wonder to myself what the hell can I do in 1 term....oh I wish I were just teaching, departmental politics ruins education.

2. As an Engish teacher with some horribly behaved bottom sets in KS3 and teaching 2 GCSE's to kids who talk incessantly throughout lessons and don't really care whether they pass or not. I wish I'd stayed in banking which I left to becme a teacher! And that's in spite of all the bad press banks have these days! [​IMG]

3. I'm also somewhat bemused by he lack of MFL responses to this. I'm not doubting that other subjects are difficult to teach, but in languages we do overlap with lots of other subject areas, except when we test pupils, we expect them to communicate their knowledge in another language. Mfl A Level is a clear example; pupils could study a book for months and then be faced with an exam where they don't have access to said book (unlike in English alevel exams) and have to write a balanced and analytical essay with memorised and relevant quotes... This tests their ability to analyse and critique literature, but then to prove this in at a high level of accurate French/Spanish/German etc with little tolerance of error. This is asking a lot from the pupils themselves, who consequently need a lot more from their teachers.

4. yep you sure have. I think you all had better come and teach in reception classes. changing pooh bums dressing the children trying to find the ever growing list of lost belongings abuse from parents teaching them how to use a knife and fork and we are still supposed to teach every one of the 30 children 44 phonems by the time they leave us. telling every school they have to take just turned 4 year olds into a reception class with no extra funding to make allowances for their extra needs just so they don't have to pay out for nursery funding. I could go on but you are all probably bored by now.

5. No.
    It doesn't.
    Not in other countries [​IMG]

6. huh?
    I can't follow you. (I am a trained MFLer).Why no access to the book (I am not in the UK).
    But then you have to teach the language skills as a paramount, or am I totally missing your point? (very possibly and probably, I seem to be misunderstanding a lot tonight!).
    To critique in a language you must firstly be able to communicate. Without the language skills, there is little hope of a fundamented communication, let alone critique or analysis of the literature.

7. I teach band at a Jr/Sr (7 to 12) and we are also MYP/DP IB. I have 5 different classes daily and none that can use the same lesson plans. We are not strictly IB by the way, we also have the local population. My DP group that is testing in music meets after school once per week for 2 hours. As there is so much to teach and so little time I spend 5-6 hours every week preparing for that 2 hour class so I am able to cover a lot of material during each session. We are not paid extra for that class. I never leave school before 6 or 7 at night as we have rehearsals and individual kids to work with and still all the same paperwork as the other teachers. I spend another 2 hours every night planning. Planning periods are usually spent repairing instruments and doing bookkeeping often for the fundraisers we are constantly doing to fund our programs. My middle years' classes are very mixed as they use them as part of what is known here as the wheel. In one of them I have kids who have played for 2 years and others who have played for 1 year, a half year, and at the semester I get new ones who have no experience or background. My indoor guard practices on Sundays for 4-5 hours for 2 months, marching band practices 2 days a week during the 1st semester and of course we have football games every Friday during that time so those are 16 hour days at school. We have events on the weekends for small groups of kids or even individuals and the students cannot do those unless the director attends. Our new merit based pay is based upon how well our students do on the standardized math, reading and science exams and not upon our performance. Did someone say teaching music is easy? I and others like me do it because we love our kids and the music we hope they will learn to love.

8. In the country I teach in if a child fails Maths or English they fail the year! That puts lots of pressure on the teachers. But would still rather teach Maths than any other subject

9. Even though you doubt their ability to create decent resources? Throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

10. ... the supermarket?

11. The ICT curriculum changes often, as do the coursework projects (always something new). That means that new assessment guidelines need to be following, new resources need to be created and there are minimal examples we can use (referring to DiDA and GCSE).
    Also, with the conception that A-level ICT is easy, many not so bright kids are pushed to pick it with the understanding that they will do well - this isn't the case.
    Let us not forget the overhaul in ICT education at the moment. I'm not saying it is the hardest but it certainly isn't the easiest. I agree that Maths, English and Science would have it the hardest but it depends where you are situated. Most of our students find literacy a challenge and therefore subjects such as History can also be challenging.
    I would like to teach Business Studies (seems to be an interesting subject to me).

12. I retired 18 months ago after completing 39 years and 300 days (yep, I counted them) and it has taken me about that time to realise just how stressed I was. The comments throughout this topic are very familiar and I have heard similar many times in 'The Staff Room'.I was often described as more Old Testament than Old School but did manage to achieve good GCSE results every year, to a point where it was 'just expected'. It is sad to just use exam results as as an indication of your value to teaching and a School but very few other 'Performance Indicators' are ever adopted. I could extol the vritues of a good D&T teacher; imaginative, creative, conscientious, have eyes up their b*m but the same qualities are needed by all subject teachers.The 60% coursework and a written exam do however create unecessary pressure for both staff and students.I did (and still do) actively encourage SM teams to promote and encourage staff to 'shadow' or observe their colleagues in other subjects to see just how easy or challenging it really is and how students behave and perform in different environments.
    It was 1968 when I taught my first lesson - on Teacing Practice - and the advice I was given then is still, I believe, is relevant - Every day and in every way try and do the best you can - and then the b*ggers can't complain

13. Delighted you have the time to spare to make all the resources and the money to copy them.

We just bought a new French course (Studio). We teach with the textbook as a basis to work from because someone has done the hard work I don't have time to.It's even linked to all our Experiences & Outcomes (Scotland).
    However, we also go off piste and do various projects, either within the department, or interdisciplinary. There is a fabby CDRom which can be enhanced with your own materials - ppts/ word/ pix/links etc. So I feel we have the best of both worlds. We even, shock horror, ask the kids what they want to do (with pretty boring, unimaginative results I have to say).

All subjects have their pressures but I think MFL has to be up there in the Top 3 because the pupils are so unwilling. This means behaviour is difficult and work (mine and theirs) a bit uninspiring. Partly, also because of our very poor academic intake which makes everything worse.
    I cannot believe that a previous poster was threatened with the sack for not getting 31 Ds up to Cs. That has GOT to be a union matter. Rolling over to bullies only makes things worse.
    Bon courage, mes amis.

14. I teach History and English and I've always found English less stressful in terms of class-room management. Sometimes it can be disheartening to discover that History is held in less high esteem but that's just the way of it. Parents and SMT rightly regard core subjects highly and that filters through to the students who know the pressure's on in the cores. Consequently, I've taught the same class for both subjects and discovered their attitudes differ towards each. English they generally take more seriously and apply themselves accordingly.

I guess it's swings and roundabouts. When it comes to reporting and meeting targets the pressure is definitely on in English more than with History.

15. As a secondary maths teacher in a special school, and parent governor of my children's primary school, this is exactly the case for the primary school. They have 30% SEN at the school, and some children who come from a deprived background (often no food, no bed, no sleep etc,) but no actual "special needs" (as neglect and deprivation are not counted), but are still expected to get 60% of pupils to get level 4 in English and Maths at the end of year 6. How is this fair, when compared with the "good" schools in the area who have less than 5% SEN, and motivated, self learners?
    As a result, the school has been told they have to become an Academy, as one of 200 failing primary schools in the country.

16. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

This is totally ludicrous! What have we come to? How do they expect becoming an Academy will change anything?

17. henriette

henriette New commenter

Sorry to go off subject for a ,moment, but do you like Studio? My Expo books are getting very tatty and I was wondering about upgrading.

18. I had the opposite problem teaching bottom set maths "They're on target in English" - some of them were anyway! Apart from the fact that they had silly targets (noone lower than an E) nearly all had quite complex special needs, including one statemented. They could often do the work in class but couldn't remember it next lesson. The ones who were doing ok in English got a lot of help with coursework.

19. I hope the core subject's not English Lucyloos, or were you joking?

20. keithguilder

keithguilder New commenter

The previous person also forgot the other stressful factor of ICT; the reliance on technology that often has mind of its own and won't work (for no apparent reason) from one day to the next. Also that every 'upgrade' (eg Microsoft Office) often requires re-learning how to do the simplest of tasks as some 'boffin' has decided that icons should be re-located in the strangest of places.