1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is teaching some subjects more stressful than others?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by wiemaranerlover, Jan 31, 2012.

1. gchand

gchand New commenter

Maths is THE most difficult to teach. It helps if you love the subject and can put your own personality into it.

2. sxc

sxc

I teach Geography - great fun, and loved by most kids, even those who don't choose it as an option - tend to save the volcanoes and tsunamis for them - most are fascinated. The only downside is keeping up with new materials all the time - Geography is constantly changing, at least with maths its always the same old numbers and equations. As a Geography teacher we are expected to know everything about the world!

3. While I can't argue that core subjects must be stressful, what with all the grades pressure, I've got to agree with all the people who have suggested music!
    Again, I'm in a one person department (although managing 8 peris, so lots of work there), so teaching the whole of KS3 plus three big classes at KS4. Our school does reports in bunches, so years 7-9 will all come along at once - and I'll be writing a report for every single one of them. Not to mention how long parents' evenings take when you teach everyone in a year group.
    Ok, yes, you can repeat lesson plans. And as a practical subject, there's not a lot of marking at KS3 (once a half term per book is probably about ok). But then there are the clubs - every day after school and several lunchtimes at my school - and the concerts (average 3 per term), the church services, the assemblies, the trips, the instrumental exams, and the constant struggle to persuade SLT that your subject matters...

4. I absolutely agree as a Catering Teacher it can be challenging and thank you for recognising this. I was panicking thinking I was the only one that found this subject hard especially with back to back practicals! Do I supply ingredients because students have forgotten when you have such a tight budget? Constantly chasing up coursework which is time controlled and the student hasn't completed due to persistant absence. I don't cook at home I'm lucky Hubbie does it. [​IMG]

5. well, I can only comment that as the MFL teachers are fairly light on this thread, it must be MFL that's the hardest to teach. We're all off preparing outstandingly enthusiastic and enthralling lessons to challenge the minds of our students tomorrow.
    The rest of you are clearly slackers.

Anybody else with me on that one?

Hello? *smiles nervously and backs out of room*

6. It is generally the case that HODs in Maths and English are paid more. This is to reflect tha fact that they have to teach across the school at all levels and are therefore generally managing larger departments and more students. Compare this with a subject such as Economics that often only has 6th form classes and you can see it is clearly not an equal workload and hence the pay reflects this.

7. I think Science has a pretty rough time of it as well. Our HOD is pulling her hair atm, really feel for her. Yet its just as stressful teaching it. What with practical, controlled assessments, exam prep & the 50 or so other things we have to do (I know other subjects have to do similar) I'm surprised more arent' off with stress.
    Whoever said teaching is an easy career has obviously never worked in a school

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

[​IMG]

9. I'm Primary
    ICT for me due to lack of computers for a class to use 1 each, lack of time to know how to use all the available software, lack of a technician to help when things go wrong, lack of help when students can't do the task, lack of subject knowledge, lack of time to set up equipment

10. Oh dear God, I had to do Economics A level. The marking workload and the skill required to get anything into my MFL MFL MFL MFL bonce was considerable, on the part of my A level teacher.

He was worth every penny he earned. Most of which he spent on cigarettes, if his teeth and breath were anything to go by

11. Which subject has pupils out of seats moving around a dangerous environment carrying deadly weapons close to machinery that can kill and maim?? As a HoD of D&T who has to rewrite a risk assessment every time a little darling (or not so little) burns their finger on a glue gun or God forbid decides to stick a steel metre rule into a moving belt sander (its happened) there aren't many places in a school where the likelihood of an accident occurring is so high and on a regular basis. I know even TA's find it stressfull at times in the dark world of D&T, especially as they are usually accompanying the less than socially adapted pupils. We have targets set at 100% A*-C grades across 4 different subjects, with half the time allocation of English, Maths and Science for GCSE subjects. Especially challenging when considering primary schools barely teach any D&T and Y7 is the first year most have even touched a workshop tool/machine! (Not having a go at primary teachers as its simply a financial restraint for primary schools) That said, don't think I could live with the boredom of teaching 'academic' subjects. When any of my Y12 tutor group ask about being a teacher all I say is "Don't become a teacher.... oh, unless you want to teach PE!" And yes HoD's of non-core subjects do receive considerably lower TLR's than Heads of English, Maths and Science.

12. As a parent whose eldest son is on target to achieve few GCSEs at C or above, I find this whole debabe very depressing. I am also a teacher and a trainer working in business. My job involves training new recruits to do their jobs. So many arrive from school with absolutely no idea how to behave that, along with the experience of my son, I really wonder what is going on in schools today. And if the teachers are so stressed, God knows what they are doing to the students/children they are supposed to be teaching.

13. I know I'm not Secondary (Primary Year 3) but I have to say teaching Welsh as a non-Welsh speaker is pretty stressful!

14. graeme27uk, I totally get what you mean, I'm guessing you're a HoD as I get FFT targets for bright kids (in English or Maths) who have absolutely zero creative or practical ability within D&T, yet are expected to get A grades with them. This argument doesn't wash with 'da management' come exam results analysis time!!

15. I share your pain. I personally clear 10 acres of rain forest a day on printing and photocopying sheets I've spent hours making which are basically what it has in a text book anyway!. If we were paid for this prep/planning time, we'd be back to old school books within a week ;D
    The other problem we have is knowing if kids in equivalent sets on the other side of the timetable are of the same ability as there's no standard material. Also, sharing a class with another teacher becomes a nightmare in judging ability and previous knowledge levels!

16. All of this is true...but...we have much smaller class sizes, therefore less volume of marking, also, it's a lovely feeling when the pupils who every other subject has a problem with behaves beautifully and works hard because they're proud of the practical work they're producing. DT teaches independence, problem solving and creativity and each horrible class of switched off YR9s is worth it when you're privvy to just one "low ability" student's lightbulb moment.

17. wiemaranerlover

wiemaranerlover New commenter

Wow! I seem to have opened a can of worms ... your responses have been fascinating, and illuminating, and whilst I did originally think that core subjects especially English & Maths seem to be under the microscope more thanks to SMT, Gove and League tables, it's obvious that each subject has their own pressures.

Many thanks for seeing me out of a particularly bad patch last week, although my magic wand doesn't seem to be working and won't magically turn the Ds into Cs, you have helped me get things in perspective.

One further question...is it more pressurised in academies, 'LEA run' or private?

18. Teaching Shakespeare to Maladjusted Disruptive SEN students who have been given impossible targets. They can barely read and write, are totally disaffected and would be better off learnng how to fill-in forms, or to go back to basics and learn how to read properly or to write a letter.

19. I think teaching any MFL in the UK is like preaching in the desert. English kids don't know how their own language works, so trying to teach them adjectival agreement or verb tenses is a major challenge. Add to the mix the general opinion that languages are not that important because the rest of the world understands English (if you speak loud enough ) and you will definitely feel like you are swimming against the current most days.

20. I am pretty sure this type of threatening/ bullying behaviour isnt allowed in the work place. (Do we allow the kids to behave like this?) Was there a witness, is it verbal or written? (email?)
    Ask for clarification, note the date time, place it was said, consult your union.
    I am sure it will make great copy in an industrial tribunal!