1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is teaching more to you than 'just a job'?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lardylady, May 23, 2011.

1. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I ask because I was talking to a bloke I met on a course who described his jobs prior to teaching as 'just a way of earning money', implying that teaching was so much more than that. Other people at the table seemed to share his view, but I didn't.To me, teaching is a job that has good holidays and pays the bills. Am I alone in thinking this?

2. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I ask because I was talking to a bloke I met on a course who described his jobs prior to teaching as 'just a way of earning money', implying that teaching was so much more than that. Other people at the table seemed to share his view, but I didn't.To me, teaching is a job that has good holidays and pays the bills. Am I alone in thinking this?

3. I think it depends on the type of person that you are

I could not do a job just to earn money, what I do matters to me ... I am aware that other people "work to live" and that is just a different way

I guess that people fall into one or the other of these two camps

4. I'm glad to say it is more than just a job to me. There are so many people at school that are good friends.

5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

It's a job.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

For me, most definitely is 'more than just a job' I've always been passionate about children & education. So much so that I'm now in my 16th year on supply (after having had my family - I was full-time before that) & now realise I'll have to call a halt to job appliactions fot teaching posts as I can't take any more rejections. But I'm hoping to move sidewise & still keep in education, TA, CS whatever I can get!

7. I don't live to work but I can't imagine wanting to do anything else. I've always thought that the day it became "just a job" would be the day I needed to think about changing, but everyone is different.

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

I also have good friends at work, but it's still just a job!

9. I am not teaching, but my job is "not just to earn money". I love it.
    I also do in-house teaching at my company and organise the rest that is outsourced, and love that too.
    It is definitely not just for the money. I am not obliged to do the teaching, or the organising; I took that on voluntarily (and got it written into my CPD, of course).
    What I do is important to me and I want to be able to look at myself in the mirror and enjoy what I do, without stomach cramps or not wanting to make the journey to work.
    I don't get as many holidays as a teacher, nor do I earn mega bucks (although well paid) and I don't just work a 40 hour week either - but I wouldn't swap my job for anything else (at the moment).

10. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I see it as a job, not much more than that. I love what I do but most of the time I am just counting down the days until the next half term/holiday etc.

I agree with another poster who said they couldn't imagine doing anything else but I agree simply for the fact that at least I'm kept busy and not clock watching in an office (or something like that).

11. I often wonder where the idea comes from that office workers are clock watchers [​IMG]

12. It's more than a job for me. Perhaps it's because I 'fell' into teaching (long story) via my first job as a musician but I still, even now, get a real thrill from seeing my students develop and move onto the next stage of their lives.
    Thinking about it, I see it as an extension of the nurturing side of my nature. I have lots of children of my own to nurture but find that the different nurturing I do with my students fulfills part of me that I didn't even realise I had, even 10 years ago.
    Of course, before everyone thinks I'm weird, it's not all aspects of my work that I like but the classroom/extension activity based parts are where I feel most satisfied.

13. captain oats

captain oats New commenter

I get that idea from friends of mine that tell me that, or post regular updates on Facebook about how bored they are. It was nothing against office jobs and I know I was making a huge generalisation but I needed a point of comparison.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I enjoy it but it's just a job. One that is relatively well paid, reasonable pension (hopefully), has good holidays and excellent sick leave entitlement - all of which is important to me.
    It's fortunate that I like it since I can't afford not to do it for the moment.

15. Some office workers are "clock watchers"

They are similar, imo, to the teachers who arrive back on the first day of term and
    tell you how many weeks/days there are to the next holiday

16. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

Personal experience! [​IMG]
    Yes, it's just a job. But it's a more emotionally challenging job than a lot of others. I think there are those who are heart-and-soul into it, who achieve no more than someone who sees it as "just a job"; equally, some people couldn't (or don't) do it well when their heart isn't in it.

17. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Depends on whether or not I'm given the freedom to do it well, or whether those above just want me to be an obedient little drone who conforms to a formulaic one size fits all strategy. Towards the end of my permanent post it became just a job, and threatened to degenerate into a rather demoralising slog towards retirement.

On supply it varies - daily supply is now primarily a way of paying the bills, and if it ever stops doing that I'll find another job to do. However, on longer term assignments I sometimes get the chance to use my initiative and bring my own way of doing things to the mix and that's when I start to enjoy it again. I get the biggest kick out of being dropped into an unfamiliar situation, having to make the most of what's available, and changing the way it's taught by introducing new ideas into it. I think my problem is that the culture of school management has changed and I haven't - too many insecure Heads confuse OFSTED's desire for 'consistency' with autocratic demands for blind conformity. That is just a huge turn off for me - it's perfectly possible to be a good teacher without being a so-called 'team player' (ie corporate clone).

18. I know, I was teasing a bit.
    Just as teachers can get mad about being underestimated and underappreciated and fed up sometimes with the extra work, we office workers can do too, at times [​IMG]
    Stereotypes are rarely helpful - although often contain a wee grain of truth.

19. learningyoghurt

learningyoghurt New commenter

It's a job, I'd quibble about the 'just'.
    I had an extended period of time where I could only get part-time jobs, cleaning and bar-work and suchlike. (I was awful at interviews - mind you I made up for it by getting about seven part-time jobs to keep myself going).
    Even after six years of teaching, there are days where I still wake up pleased and proud because someone thought that I was worthy of a full-time permanent position which they pay me thousands of pounds to do and that I like. And, what's more, I get weekends off! I get evenings! I don't have to get up at six in the morning! I don't ever have to clean the toilets of the local bookies again! Boysoboysoboy!
    I enjoy it a lot and find it fulfilling. I'd do it if I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it if I wasn't getting paid (even if I could afford to). It's a job, but jobs are pretty good things to have, imo.

20. henriette

henriette New commenter

More than just a job for me - I don't (often) bring work (ie papers) home, but I do carry the stresses, strains, anxieties and worries with me. Especially at this time of year when I worry for my Y11s (although "my" exams were last week, so worry over!)
    O/h used to be a lawyer - he worked the same hours and worried about his clients in the same way as I worry about my students.
    I think it is just a question of whether you have the personality that gets wrapped up in a job or not.