1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Is teaching making you bitter?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by wark17, Jan 31, 2019.

1. wark17

wark17 New commenter

...endless workload, data, colleagues as bad as the kids, kids behaviour - answering back more, lack of effort...

Be interesting to know ;)

BetterNow and lardylegs like this.
  2. ultimatedingbat

ultimatedingbat Established commenter

Yes - I was bitter and cynical before though...now its probably worse

3. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

Yeah, probably.

I dread opening emails now. In fact, a day without a passive-aggressive reminder from SLT about something I haven’t done is a day to celebrate.

Then there’s always some new online system to log on to and complete: medical, first aid, health & safety, safeguarding, trips, library books, assessments, interventions...

And at any moment, someone will throw something else to do at me: so far this term it’s been a two-page summary of the state of things in each of the subjects I co-ordinate plus writing new policies in all these areas, and a year’s planning notes for my class cross-referenced to the National Curriculum for all subjects. I wish I was joking.

Teach? How am I supposed to find the time? Everyone else is booking time out and leaves their TAs in charge, but you still have to plan and mark the stuff, and frankly, I’d rather teach it myself and get it done right the first time.

Bitter? - yes. Tired? - yes. Giving in? Not yet.

4. mollyhog

mollyhog Occasional commenter

Quite honestly, no! I sometimes get frustrated with some of the kids, I sometimes get frustrated with some colleagues and of course, the data is a pain in the butt, but on the whole I love teaching - but then I'm in an independent. In the words of Marie Kondo - teaching really does 'spark joy' in me. :)

5. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Colleagues sucking up to the SLT hoping to get a pay rise.
    Parents complaining that their kid is being picked on because their work is below standard.
    Kids revolting against the endless "self assessment" they are meant to do in multicoloured inks.
    SLT constantly sliding in yet another "way to improve results" with zero consultation among staff.
    SLT now demanding that "Growth Mindset" must be evidenced in lessons and that teachers must make a daily effort to monitor pupils' mental health.

What about our mental health? Why does nobody care that teachers are just being ground down till they say, "You know what? You can stick your job, I'd rather wash dishes down the pub. "

6. wark17

wark17 New commenter

Interesting comments.

I feel I am getting bitter - never used to be. I’ve been teaching over 10yrs now with 4yrs being a HOD - this year I reached bitterness overload!

Today has not been a good day pupil wise. It feels as though my subject is not seen to be relevant, therefore kids feel as though they don’t need to complete coursework or feel the need to do their HW.

The worst thing is, I am bringing this bitterness home. Not good.

:eek:o_O

7. smurphy6

smurphy6 Lead commenter

The joy is being sucked out of what was a wonderful job.

8. lardylady

lardylady Star commenter

Oh F F S!!

9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Am I bitter some times about some things to do with some of my work? Yes.
    Does teaching make me bitter? No.

But I'm also in an independent and have decent SLT and governing board.
    They help a lot.

agathamorse and mothergoose2013 like this.
  10. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Teaching wouldn't make me bitter.

Not being allowed to teach makes me bitter. Whether it's down to disruption or data obsessions or stupid gimmicks or just plain old paperwork, it's the fact that my teaching is relegated pretty much into last place - that's what makes me bitter.

11. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

25 years in, yes I am more bitter than a very bitter thing with a pencil up its nose. I joined a pretty functional system that worked for most adults and young people, those that worked hard got decent results the others learnt that you get out what you put in. Now the system and buildings have been given away to private companies that can syphon off funds to pay the exec class. What a mess and I can only see it getting worse.

12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

What makes me bitter is when you have convergent deadlines, so the combined expectation is that for a short time you are in possession of the abilities of three people instead of one.
    In itself, that is just unfortunate, the left hand not talking to the right, but the bitterness sets in when you are not allowed to point this out.
    Oppression of the worst kind.
    Tomorrow is a case in point-it is a deadline for four distinct ongoing tasks, and what would normally be slack time for me to fine tune and finish has been subsumed by meetings which have been plonked on in the last few days. These are all do able things, some in fact quite absorbing and fulfilling.
    However, to finish everything at once is a request to spin gold from straw.
    This i'm why I am posting on here right this moment, across the room a rather large pile of cardboard folders beckoning me over; I am suffering from "what is the point of starting that as I cannot finish it!"
    if you get this often enough in your teaching job, this is what makes you ill, for one reason and one reason only-
    You are not allowed to point this out.

13. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

No.

I remain the dreamer of impossible dreams, and the hoper of impossible hopes.

14. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Ah, thank you.
    I shall borrow that line tomorrow when taken to task about missing two of my deadlines.
    My managers could benefit from a fresh synonym for "onwards and upwards"

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Teslasmate

Teslasmate Occasional commenter

Teaching is what keeps me cheerful. The toxic working conditions of schools is what makes me bitter.

16. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Don't be bitter....

Life's too short

agathamorse likes this.
  17. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

I allowed myself to become bitter due the ridiculous pressure of teaching and my inability to escape the trap I had created for myself. This was a truly hideous experience that wasted valuable energy I ought to have been putting into my relationships, most regretfully my relationship with my child.
    Life is definitely too short to waste it being bitter, agree 100% with @afterdark , sadly I forgot how to enjoy it but am spending my middle age learning how to!

18. mothergoose2013

mothergoose2013 Occasional commenter

NB: as others have pointed out it was the pressure of working in a school, and the politics, as opposed to the actual teaching which I have always loved.

19. Smithsboy

Smithsboy New commenter

I'm over 10 years in and something has certainly changed within me - I teach in a place where I am finding it increasingly difficult to relate to entitled, lazy kids who want everything on a plate. And the parents aint much better!

I love my subject and thankfully have other ways in engaging with it outside of school, which keeps me sane. There are still moments of brilliance that give me a buzz but generally, teaching-wise after years of putting in crazy extra hours, going more than the extra mile etc, I now do my teaching in the classroom, a bit after school a couple of days ti help seniors and then go home and do my other things and forget about it until the next day.

Maybe it's just called 'wising up'!

20. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

As a member of support staff working in a school, I have seen teaching colleagues, perfectly likeable and happy on the outside, degenerate and become bitter, jaded and relentlessly negative.Its sad.